Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dont care too much about water, but my buddy has a snokel and thinks his Jeep is part fish or something so I end up in the water anyway regularly. I dont go too deep since I dont want to suck water, but I do get my engine pretty wet keeping up with him. I am getting a bearing squeel when it gets wet now. I am guessing my Alternator bearing. I have not gone over all of the wiring and sealed it up for water or anything yet. I grease everything regularly to avoid destroying U-Joints and things. He is now getting electrical gremlins like blinkers coming on by themselves, engine not starting, 1 year old alternator going bad. He is going to put a new alternator in today, but I know he will kill that one pretty quick too. What is the best thing to do when you know you will be soaking it all the time? What is the checklist? Would something to shield the alternator make a big difference in extending its life? What about the fuse box under the hood? Whats the best way to tackle that? I am going to install a snorkel, but plan on doing everything else first since that gets wet now.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You could always reroute the fuse box under the hood inside the cab....and I don't think you could shield the alt just cause of the belts that have to be used and when its still dry I know people on here and the guy from xtreme4x4 sprays everything down with wd40

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking maybe I should stick that fuse box in an ammo can. Not enough room in the cab.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I am thinking maybe I should stick that fuse box in an ammo can. Not enough room in the cab.
You could also use dielectric grease (silicone grease) on all the fuses and that would keep corrosion down and minimize shorting things.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Also move all vents (ie. diffs, t-case, and tranny) to either the air box or high up inside the cab behind the dash.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could also use dielectric grease (silicone grease) on all the fuses and that would keep corrosion down and minimize shorting things.
You are always full of good info. I will be doing that!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also move all vents (ie. diffs, t-case, and tranny) to either the air box or high up inside the cab behind the dash.
I will do the airbox. I dont want the smell inside the Jeep. I bought the hoses to do it a while ago too, just havent gotten around to it.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I will do the airbox. I dont want the smell inside the Jeep. I bought the hoses to do it a while ago too, just havent gotten around to it.
its very easy to do, just time consuming

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You are always full of good info. I will be doing that!
lol, years and years of needing to make do without a sufficient budget to do so. Some things worked, some didnt, so if you want to know how not to do something Im your guy. :)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its very easy to do, just time consuming
Yeah I pulled both the axles out from under the Jeep when I did the SOA, just didn't have the hose when I put them back in so I reused the original.

·
Registered
523 Posts
camarozz said:
lol, years and years of needing to make do without a sufficient budget to do so. Some things worked, some didnt, so if you want to know how not to do something Im your guy. :)
Lmao

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
95YamJam said:
I am thinking of moving my alternator. I've killed one because of mud/water.
Where would you move it to?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts