Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a 2008 jeep jk, and I am just wondering if its a keep thing. But my clutch is starting to go already at 33 thousand km. I bought it second hand and it has pretty Much had 35 on it since new. But it also has had stock gears for the majority of that time just recently put some 4.88 in it now. Just wondering if hey are a weak clutch and what is the best clutch to go with. I am looking into a centerforce dual friction. Wouldn't mind some input

·
Registered
94 Posts
The factory clutch can be damaged if it is allowed to slip too long(not fully engauged)i have seen this first hand on a 15k 2009 with a person learning to drive a manual trans.The clutch disk was down to the rivets inside.A stronger aftermarket clutch is a good bet.

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Hey everyone. I have a 2008 jeep jk, and I am just wondering if its a keep thing. But my clutch is starting to go already at 33 thousand km. I bought it second hand and it has pretty Much had 35 on it since new. But it also has had stock gears for the majority of that time just recently put some 4.88 in it now. Just wondering if hey are a weak clutch and what is the best clutch to go with. I am looking into a centerforce dual friction. Wouldn't mind some input
I sold a new Honda Civic to a girl that had no idea on how to drive a stick, but she had to have one. In less than 1,000 miles she destroyed the clutch.

Center Force Clutches are great, check out the CFT-II for your vehicle. IMO it would be better suited than the Dual Friction clutch in a Jeep application. They use them in tow trucks, and heavy duty applications, they hold up to riding and slipping them better that the Dual Friction clutches.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
These clutches are hydraulic and if its starting to go........its already gone.....time to install a decent aftermarket clutch before you're stranded in the middle of nowhere...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I have 7 thousand miles on it. Love the Jeep. The clutch seems too light duty to me! I have smelled it several times when I am in 4 wheel high. I have driven standards for years and this clutch is way to light duty for this Jeep. A little slipping and it burns quick....Starts stinking right away...! If I am not careful I will be changing this clutch by 50000 miles... To bad for an otherwise awesome vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The 35's with stock gears is what was killing the cutch. Even with 4.10 its kinda high(low number) gearing for 35's. it can definitely turn them but it takes more clutch to get going. If you end up replacing it with a good center force clutch you'll probably get 100k out of it.

Also I use 4low every time I'm off road, on the boat launch, or pulling someone out of a ditch. It takes tons of wear off the clutch

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
........Also I use 4low every time I'm off road, on the boat launch, or pulling someone out of a ditch. It takes tons of wear off the clutch
Yep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts