Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've found out the leak problem in my YJ. The weather stripping is going bad and I'm looking to replace it. Anyone know the best way to do this?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quadratec sells it. You fold down the windshield and replace it.

the pain in the @$$ parts:
1) Getting the bolts out w/o stripping them
2) folding the windshield back up.

I would replace all the hardware with grade 8 hex bolts.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
They may be the same, but I heard the rubber seal the Q sells does not fit tight. I got the one from Morris 4x4 and it is thick and matches up perfect though it took some gentle pressure with straps to get the windshield bolts started.

·
Registered
693 Posts
A kind soul at JeepForum made a write-up for this repair:

YJ Windshield Cowl Replacement - How To

Just be very careful when lowering the windshield as to not use too much force. If the windshield has never been lowered, or not lowered in a long time, the hinges will be very stiff and excessive force can bend and/or break the hinges.

To avoid damaging the hinges, I recommend you lube up the hinges with a good penetrating lube like Seafoam DeepCreep and let them soak overnight before you attempt to lower the windshield. Work the windshield down as far it will reasonably go without excessive force, lube the hinges again, then raise the windshield back upright. Lube the hinge again, let it soak some, and then lower the windshield again as far as it will reasonably go.

Initially the windshield may not want to move much at all and may take a little extra lube and coaxing to get some movement. Even if you get it partially lowered with no problem, still work the windshield the full range that it will go, lubing the hinges. Repeat as needed to get the windshield progressively lower, until the windshield is fully lowered.

Just follow these steps and keep an eye one the hinges to ensure you aren't bending them by using too much force. It can take time, but this is the safe way to lower a stubborn windshield.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I just did mine and the seal from Morris is as close to factory I've seen so far, but I agree, be careful folding windshield down, also u may want to replace the top dash screws once window is down w stainless.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm doing mine this summer. Omix-ada I found makes the best seals in my opinion. And #8 bolts would be a great bolt upgrade. Highly recommend .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts