Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'be seen a couple of threads that reference replacing the weatherstripping on the windshield and doors. I tried to search the forum for a thread that discussed the how to but found nothing. If there is one and someone can direct me to it, that would be great, if not, what is the best method of removal and installation? My doors need it bad and I didn't see a kit in Quadratec, where can I buy one? As far as the windshield is concerned, it looks like there is a seal and then some weatherstripping covering it? The outter strip is worn but everything else seams good. Quadratec's kit looked like it just contained the seal. I've only done windows on my '66 mustang and that was drastically different so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Will Dement

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Are you talking about a YJ windshield or a Comanche? Because they are drastically different.

A YJ windshield is glued in and the rubber pieces that are on the inside and the outside are merely a way to cover the edges of the steel and glass. They don't perform any kind of "weather stripping". If the windshield is leaking, it needs re-glued.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking about the YJ. The plastic piece on the outside had broken and part of it is missing. I didn't think it looked very functional. There is no leaking but I want to replace that piece to protect the weatherstripping underneath and it just looks bad the way it is. Does anyone sell just that piece?

-Will

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Yes, you can go to quadratec.com, or Morris at jeep4x4center.com and order the inner or the outer pieces for the windshield.

They can be replaced, but they are designed to be "glued in" at the time the windshield is replaced.

When I did mine, I had the frame off the Jeep, and laying on a set of saw horses, I used the 3m windshield adhesive to re-glue the outer piece in place. I made a rectangle out of 2X4's that matched the new seal and placed it over the seal with some weight on it till the 3m adhesive dried, then I flipped the frame over and did the inside seal. I suppose you could use masking tape to hold it in place, but I had the frame off of the jeep anyway and thought that the way I did it was easier.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would like to replace the rubber seal material on my doors that the glass rubs against when you roll it up and down. Mine is all cracked and torn up. I have a 89 YJ. Is that glued in as well or does it "snap on" somehow?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to replace the rubber seal material on my doors that the glass rubs against when you roll it up and down. Mine is all cracked and torn up. I have a 89 YJ. Is that glued in as well or does it "snap on" somehow?
I was wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got mine on Amazon last night... couldnt find a driver side outside one for my 89 YJ, so with a little cross comparison form a couple of websites I ordered one that is SUPPOSED to fit from the earlier CJs...

we will see if it works... I like ordering form Morris but the shipping part to Alaska is a PITA, from Amazon I get most stuff with Prime and not shipping... I got both my bumpers fro Smitty thru Amazon with free shipping to Alaska...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts