Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the weathertec mats and I like how they fit. I have one issue though - the mats have a hole where the anchor in the floor fits through to hold them in place. I have noticed that it doesn't take much snow on the mat, which then melts, for the resulting water to overflow the lip around the anchor. I checked the other day and the floor underneath my mat is completely soaked!! The only solution that I can see is to put the mat in and then caulk around the hole to seal it. In the spring I will have to take a small penknife or something like that to cut around the anchor to remove the mats.

Another way might be to cut the anchor off and then just seal the hole in the mat permanently - although I wonder if the mat might slide around then.

I did a search and didn't find anything on this issue, so I must be the only one??

If anyone has a solution for this, please let me know!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hmmmm.....I'm thinking that the hook may just slide out of the carpet (without cutting it). One of my vehicles does that....I'm thinking it's the wrangler.

And I suppose that you could just make a little "dam" around the hook hole, without having to actually seal off the hook.

Also.....I'm thinking that you should look for OTHER sources of water. A leak down the firewall maybe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
pull the carped out, rhino line the whole thing and problem solved! Seriously I have considered doing this in addition to rhino lining the bumbers and fender flares.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
The carpet is warm, quiet, and pretty. Most peeps are gonna want to keep it there.
Um, not any warmer, quieter or prettier when it's soaking wet.... or dry even:)

Seriously no noticeable difference in temp or sound without carpet, and once it gets muddy/wet/funky the smell factor is greatly increased along with the likelyhood of rusting floorpans in a hurry. Pull up the carpet sometime and see how much grit is under there, and water... You'll change your mind quickly, the grit scratches through the paint, and then the water sits on the metal... and well, then you're paying to have floorpans repaired... :) Just sayin'....

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had the same problem. I had the tire tread mats and they soaked the floor. I only found this out when the matting under the drivers feet started to rot. I pulled the carpet up and this matting that looked like cotton gauze had a 4x4 rotten square.

So I cleaned it up by ripping out most of that crap. It came off the carpet very easy. I then washed everything and dried it out while waiting for the weathertechs.

Once installed they did the same thing. So I said screw the hooks. I took the dremel and cut the hooks off flush and then used a black silicone to fill the hole in the mat. It was a bit tricky but came out well and now my floors stay dry.

This was on a vehicle less the 6 months old by the way. The tub was surprisingly well protected. I always have mats in my rigs and vacuum the carpets regularly so I have never gathered enough dirt under the carpet to be an issue. A mat and a shop vac go a long way.

The weathertech does move a bit . Not enough to bother you. It's shape keeps it from going too far. It just moves forward by half an inch from time to time but it's better than rotten carpet. I am in no way worried about the mat affecting the pedals.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
You could do all that or get the Quadratec floor liners. :D

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Hmmmm....I obviously take care of my vehicles different from some people.
:) You go right ahead thinking that sunshine.... :) Then look under your carpet some day..... You know the carpet is in pieces, and everything gets under there. I take very good care of my vehicles as well, and was stunned the day I pulled the carpet out of my TJ....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts