Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Sorry - I know there is a lot of stuff out there on the Webers but I am looking for an expert to tell me what to do (haha). Here are my symptoms:
- completely rebuilt 4.2L 6 cyl motor, 1989 YJ
- located in Boston, MA (~sea level)
- new PCV valve and hoses to/from the valve cover
- brand new Weber on it (yes this is my first time Webering)
- distributor vac line connected to the vac line on the back of the carb near the choke, NOT at the manifold
- tried initial settings - NO WAY will it idle; dies instantly
- current settings:
idle screwed ALL the way in - spring maxed out
air mix screw pretty far out too
idles OK but rough
very hard to start
once warm kind of OK, throttle pretty responsive, driveable but not great
smells very rich!! (like wow, not good!?)

another symptom - when I unplug the vac line at the distributor there is almost no change. A bit of a momentary lag then the usual rough idle. is this right?

I THINK I may have a vacuum leak - probably at the base of the carb (sprayed with brake cleaner and did notice a small change in rpm but not bad...)...

Would love a recommendation/sequence. Based on what I read yesterday, I am thinking 1. solve the vac leak (remove the carb and reset on plates), go back to original settings and try again??? Help!
Thanks!
L

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You running regular disto and coil..what's time set at...are u sure your choke is working?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi SCCritterKiller
I have a HEI distributor new in box waiting to go in, figuring I would "fix" spark and fuel for this fresh motor. But now still with the dist/coil that came with it - presume stock. I figured try to sort out the carb before adding yet another variable, but who knows - maybe throw the HEI on there and sort things out from there??
Timing set at roughly 12 deg BTDC. Electric choke... Possibly not working - have not checked! Good point...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I took my computer out and when I did it killed power to original choke wire...I messed with my carb a couple days before I figured it out..also make sure that the choke is adjusted properly....wait till it's cold pop off air filter turn on key don't start it...and wait and see if choke opens at all but also make sure it opens all the way... it may need adjusted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good idea - so with the carb cover off, engine off/cold, turn the key to on without cranking and look for the choke to do what exactly? (Most chokes actually close the opening to enrich the mixture no?)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Not the carb cover just the air filter...pump gas one time to set carb closed as you would before cold start...turn key on and watch for butterfly under air filter to open...it should eventually open all the way...if it doesn't open you have no electric going to choke...if it doesn't open all the way choke will need adjusted...if you choke doesn't open or open all the way when warm you will never get rid of rich condition..

On a weber the choke adjustmentioned is on the back not on the side like here
https://youtu.be/QbRKe8q4LmY

Once you confirm choke is working and set properly we can move on to idle and air fuel mixture

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you!
Fixed a vac leak (one of the Weber posts was screwed in too far), adjusted the choke and now she fires right up and idles from cold. The mixture still not perfect but will tinker with that after putting in the HEI distributor
Stay tuned...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts