Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,196 Posts
Really like the look of your jeep, why haven't I seen you on here before! Have you had a chance to check out the "cheap, easy, fun, and creative mods" page? There are tons of cool ideas for stuff there. Im not sure what else your jeep needs, it looks very good! Here's the link if you haven't seen it yet http://www.wranglerforum.com/showthread.php?t=102868 :wavey:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,920 Posts
Me being the anal person that I am...after last weeks off-road excursions...and in preperation for winter up here in IN...I got under the Jeep with a bucket soap and water and a rag...followed up by a little sandpaper for the very light surface rust spots, and than a couple rattle cans of Rustoleum red paint, with under body spray used in ares that it would be more appropiate, have yet to get to axles and frame, they will be black. Cheap easy mod that on these "older" rust prone Jeeps may save it for a few more years. It would easily take a weekend to do the whole Jeep underneath depending on how far you want to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
I just installed a hand throttle using parts of my bike. First offroad test with it tonight and loved it helped a lot in certain situations. Still have to make a few adjustments but it was totally free for me, and worth it. I put it on my 5 speed and it made wheelin smoother. Very useful to me. But nice lookin rig! Btw what rear flares are you running? The look similar to the bestop flares?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeepwayoflife said:
Really like the look of your jeep, why haven't I seen you on here before! Have you had a chance to check out the "cheap, easy, fun, and creative mods" page? There are tons of cool ideas for stuff there. Im not sure what else your jeep needs, it looks very good! Here's the link if you haven't seen it yet http://www.wranglerforum.com/showthread.php?t=102868 :wavey:
Haha, thanks dude! Yep I've read that thread cover to cover its my favorite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jp2611 said:
Me being the anal person that I am...after last weeks off-road excursions...and in preperation for winter up here in IN...I got under the Jeep with a bucket soap and water and a rag...followed up by a little sandpaper for the very light surface rust spots, and than a couple rattle cans of Rustoleum red paint, with under body spray used in ares that it would be more appropiate, have yet to get to axles and frame, they will be black. Cheap easy mod that on these "older" rust prone Jeeps may save it for a few more years. It would easily take a weekend to do the whole Jeep underneath depending on how far you want to go.
Haha I've done that recently looks great, such a useful thing and only take a little time, I've never had rust on my frame because of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CJS98TJ said:
I just installed a hand throttle using parts of my bike. First offroad test with it tonight and loved it helped a lot in certain situations. Still have to make a few adjustments but it was totally free for me, and worth it. I put it on my 5 speed and it made wheelin smoother. Very useful to me. But nice lookin rig! Btw what rear flares are you running? The look similar to the bestop flares?
Aww that's sick dude! Could u show some pics or what not? How'd u make it a clean path to the throttle, is it hard to push?

And I have three different flares in those pics, one are bushwacker lookalikes there smittybilt, I made some flat Fenders, and there were just the stock guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
jeep looks great! if you live where it gets cold or starts to snow defiantly id winterize it.
one cheap easy project I did on my old yj, was make a mount for ammo cans to be tied down to using the back seat mounts. I never used the back seat so out it went. I just used some cheap flat 2"x1/4" flatbar, welded some angle iron to it to make the cans fit snug( you could bolt it together though) then I welded some locking chain links to the angle iron to secure them in. alas, I don't have the yj anymore to show pics, but its pretty simple and easy to do. im sure you could make something like that work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tallzdatank said:
jeep looks great! if you live where it gets cold or starts to snow defiantly id winterize it.
one cheap easy project I did on my old yj, was make a mount for ammo cans to be tied down to using the back seat mounts. I never used the back seat so out it went. I just used some cheap flat 2"x1/4" flatbar, welded some angle iron to it to make the cans fit snug( you could bolt it together though) then I welded some locking chain links to the angle iron to secure them in. alas, I don't have the yj anymore to show pics, but its pretty simple and easy to do. im sure you could make something like that work.
I've actually though of doing that forever but putting them on the wheel wells. Can u fit much in them??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
I have one .50 cal can I use for my tools, one .30 cal can I use for tow chain, extra hooks, shackles and screw on links, one .30 can for flares, rtv, bungee chords, super glue and electrical/duct tape. and one more .30 cal for tie down straps, extra u joints, fuses, and light bulbs. so I can fit just about everything I take in 4 cans. I need to make up a new one for my TJ. just haven't had time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tallzdatank said:
I have one .50 cal can I use for my tools, one .30 cal can I use for tow chain, extra hooks, shackles and screw on links, one .30 can for flares, rtv, bungee chords, super glue and electrical/duct tape. and one more .30 cal for tie down straps, extra u joints, fuses, and light bulbs. so I can fit just about everything I take in 4 cans. I need to make up a new one for my TJ. just haven't had time
Damn dude thats sick, ur freaking prepared. Where'd u buy them or did u just have them laying around
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
I used to live near a huge surplus store. they have a website and you can order them online from them.
armysurpluswarehouse.com

they were pretty cheap. or you could get plastic dry boxes from a hardware store. they're about the same size, and just as good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tallzdatank said:
I used to live near a huge surplus store. they have a website and you can order them online from them.
armysurpluswarehouse.com

they were pretty cheap. or you could get plastic dry boxes from a hardware store. they're about the same size, and just as good.
I live near a army Marcy surplus, same thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
I have a hand throttle as well and love it. To answer a few questions I ran the cable down the shift boot. It comes intocthe engine bay through the trans tunnel. You will need as bike shifter with cable and sleeve, a cable stop, and there is a cheep plastic piece that you can get from the dealer that attaches the cable to the throttle linkage that makes things world's easier. I can't remember the name or part number but, itbis a grey teardrop shaped piece of plastic the cable runs through it and it snaps onto the throttle linkage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Iceman said:
I have a hand throttle as well and love it. To answer a few questions I ran the cable down the shift boot. It comes intocthe engine bay through the trans tunnel. You will need as bike shifter with cable and sleeve, a cable stop, and there is a cheep plastic piece that you can get from the dealer that attaches the cable to the throttle linkage that makes things world's easier. I can't remember the name or part number but, itbis a grey teardrop shaped piece of plastic the cable runs through it and it snaps onto the throttle linkage.
Oo.ok thanks.for the advice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Iceman said:
I have a hand throttle as well and love it. To answer a few questions I ran the cable down the shift boot. It comes intocthe engine bay through the trans tunnel. You will need as bike shifter with cable and sleeve, a cable stop, and there is a cheep plastic piece that you can get from the dealer that attaches the cable to the throttle linkage that makes things world's easier. I can't remember the name or part number but, itbis a grey teardrop shaped piece of plastic the cable runs through it and it snaps onto the throttle linkage.
You just order a $5 throttle return spring and its on the end. Pull it off the spring and use it.

I forget the part number as well but if you google it its on stus site. I spent a total of like 12 bucks and 20 mins on my hand throttle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
srad600 said:
You just order a $5 throttle return spring and its on the end. Pull it off the spring and use it.

I forget the part number as well but if you google it its on stus site. I spent a total of like 12 bucks and 20 mins on my hand throttle.
So its ez? Sweet
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top