Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I have a JK 2 dr with the convenience pkg - meaning I have power windows. With the nice weather now here, I was looking forward going completely naked at times. Then I had a bad thought....I'm sure that while I can get the doors off with little help, getting them back on might be an issue depending on how much they weigh! Anyone know how much one of these doors might weigh?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi All! I have a JK 2 dr with the convenience pkg - meaning I have power windows. With the nice weather now here, I was looking forward going completely naked at times. Then I had a bad thought....I'm sure that while I can get the doors off with little help, getting them back on might be an issue depending on how much they weigh! Anyone know how much one of these doors might weigh?
I beleive IIRC they are right around 65-70 lbs.

I use brakets rated for 75# to hang my doors on my garage wall. They're not light, but I manage ok and I have a bad back. As long as I can keep my back straight, avoid twisting too quickly and take my time I can get them on and off myself, but it's not something I would do every day.

Eventually I plan to purchase another set of best top super doors for the summer.. I love the super doors, they're great for summer. I had a set on my last JK and regret selling them when I sold the Jeep...

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Use gloves- the metal bites into your hands. I also have pins- but they're longer and metal. I also have this trim on my doors:
Precision Trim Light Gray Car Door Guards "U" Style Edge Molding Light Gray Door Edge Trim
If I am on the trail or camping I don't have to worry about where I set them down. The paint on the edges of the doors chipped in several spots the first time I took the doors off. If you buy it to match your Jeep color you'll hardly notice them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no way the doors are 65-70lbs. More like 30-40 at most. They are more awkward then anything but can easily be done. Roll the windows down before disconnecting the power. Stand on the inside reach through and grab the handle and wiggle back and forth until it pops out. Same idea putting them back on the pins line up pretty easy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
On the jku the fronts are 70 and the rears are 40. A floor jack with a spacer (wood log) and an old towel for padding can be used to lift/lower the door without any strain.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
they are really easy to take on and off. just go slowly. if they feel heavy, hit the gym :hide:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Do you have these on your doors? I've been debating on picking them up. Can I see a pic of your doors?
I take them off when I put the doors back on which I did today since I'm getting ready to leave town for a long weekend jeep trip.

Once you insert the pin guides into the door hinges, you can unscrew them from the bottom of the hinge. You could leave the pin guides on all the time, but I remove them with the doors on and then screw them back on when I take the doors off.

Trust me, it makes inserting the pins into the hinges much easier to have one of the pins longer than the other, especially on the heavier front doors. The instructions say to put the pin guide on the top pin, but I found it easier for me with it on the bottom pin.

I can snap a pic in the morning with one of them on a pin to show what it looks like with the door on.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Use gloves- the metal bites into your hands. I also have pins- but they're longer and metal. I also have this trim on my doors:
Precision Trim Light Gray Car Door Guards "U" Style Edge Molding Light Gray Door Edge Trim
If I am on the trail or camping I don't have to worry about where I set them down. The paint on the edges of the doors chipped in several spots the first time I took the doors off. If you buy it to match your Jeep color you'll hardly notice them.
I take along pool noodles that have been cut along the length and then pop those on the bottom of the doors when I take my doors off camping or on the trails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
POOL NOODLES... that's genius!!!i have manual everything on my doors and id day theyre around 70 lbs, i weigh 125 and have taken them off once with some difficulty...

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I take them off when I put the doors back on which I did today since I'm getting ready to leave town for a long weekend jeep trip.

Once you insert the pin guides into the door hinges, you can unscrew them from the bottom of the hinge. You could leave the pin guides on all the time, but I remove them with the doors on and then screw them back on when I take the doors off.

Trust me, it makes inserting the pins into the hinges much easier to have one of the pins longer than the other, especially on the heavier front doors. The instructions say to put the pin guide on the top pin, but I found it easier for me with it on the bottom pin.

I can snap a pic in the morning with one of them on a pin to show what it looks like with the door on.

I have the same pins in mine and leave them on year round and have not had any issues doing so. I will also agree that they do indeed make putting the doors back on so much easier. Worth the few bucks that they are.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Here's what it looks like with the door back on. Easy enough to unscrew them, although I don't think they look bad if you were to leave them on all the time. They appear to be stainless steel so I don't think you have to worry about rust.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
POOL NOODLES... that's genius!!!i have manual everything on my doors and id day theyre around 70 lbs, i weigh 125 and have taken them off once with some difficulty...
I have my routine down and I've had a lot of practice, but my wife is about your same weight and I'm sure she would struggle getting the doors on and off by herself.

Besides the weight of the doors, they are a little awkward to handle. Lining the pins up on the hinges was the hardest part of putting them back on, so the pin guides have really helped.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Here's what it looks like with the door back on. Easy enough to unscrew them, although I don't think they look bad if you were to leave them on all the time. They appear to be stainless steel so I don't think you have to worry about rust.
Two PA winters running mine and no sign of rust

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks for the pic of the pin on the door. Do the pin kits come with 4 guides to do 2 doors (2 guides per door)?

These are on my Christmas list :) It would be nice to only have to lift the doors twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall..

·
Registered
269 Posts
When you take your doors off for the first time you may need a jack anyhow. My drivers side wasn't an issue, but the passenger side door was pretty stubborn. I had to use a floor jack on the bottom edge of the door (with a 2x4" to spread the force) to get the pins to pop free of the hinge. I applied some grease when I put the doors back on and now it's an easy on/off.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I found unstrapping the doors and hitting the hinges with WD40 while swinging the doors past their natural arc worked wonders for loosing them up enough to lift out. Just be very careful to hold onto the doors when limiting straps are removed so the mirrors don't hit your cowl!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts