Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went out and got my rig muddy, everything was fine. a few hours later i drive 5 mins to the freeway at 50mph (everything is still fine) get on the freeway, about 2 miles later, i hear this weird grinding noise comming from the front end. i have no idea what it can be. i have no leaks or anything. it only does it at around 15-20 mph+

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
jskinn27 said:
i went out and got my rig muddy, everything was fine. a few hours later i drive 5 mins to the freeway at 50mph (everything is still fine) get on the freeway, about 2 miles later, i hear this weird grinding noise comming from the front end. i have no idea what it can be. i have no leaks or anything. it only does it at around 15-20 mph+
Manual or auto?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I figured as much. I would start by washing out your clutch plate. Mud can get packed in there and make some alarming noises. Try that before tearing your jeep apart trying to isolate the noise. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ohhh will do. ill do that first thing in the AM. my dad (mechanic for 30 years) said he has never heard something like that. it just might be it. hopefully a rinse is all itll take.

·
Registered
260 Posts
everytime I go offroad, I check everything out before I bring that sucker up to a speed greater than 30 lol:thumb:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ended up putting 4 jack stands under the front and rear, had my dad listen to it while i "drove" it. concluded it sounded like the front driveshaft, took it off and took it for a spin. grinding went away. im hoping a front DS wont be too expensive. possible rebuild/cleaning?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts