Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as a caveat I have looked on the forum for a couple of the specific questions I have. Plus, a lot of the times if my question has been answered I might not exactly understand what the answer is. So please forgive me if this info is out there!

I recently dropped off my 2015 JKU at a local shop. I had a Teraflex 2.5" lift install w/ TF 9550 shocks and steering stabilizer, 35" trail grapplers and 20x12 wheels.

I have my spare tire on the stock carrier right now until I can get a rear bumper with a tire carrier (which will be soon). But my 1st question is it normal that the wheel is constantly making noise back there?

My 2nd question is my JK was shaking pretty bad at around 65mph. I wouldn't consider it death wobble, but it wasn't normal. I had gone back to the shop to get the AEV Procal module b/c they didn't have it in stock the first time. After driving it stopped shaking at 65mph, but now it does it around 85mph. Is this normal?

3rd my front right tire is rubbing BAD against my stock front bumper. But my left side hardly rubs at all. What could this possibly mean?

That leads to my 4th question. I brought it to the shop to ask them why its rubbing and one of their installers told me I have a differential issue. Wth? I literally had no idea what he was talking about and I tried to search everywhere but no one has talked about this. He loosened up what I believe is the tie rod (my stabalizer is connected to it) and then retightened it. It seemed to help the rub a little but not really. After that every time I hit a small bump on either tire I hear a REALLY annoying squeak.

I'm going back to the shop on Thursday, but I honestly just want to know what to ask for when I'm there so I don't get screwed.

Any help is appreciated! I'm loosing my mind!

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
Lots of hits but no responses, IMHO, here goes.

1) if your spare is 35 trail grabber & 20s, probably. Did the shop adjust the bump stop between the tire and the gate?
2) start with placing the rear tires on the front, if it still shakes may need to get wheels rebalanced.
3 & 4) sounds like the shop did not get the differential back in square. Will need to measure side to side and front to back and adjust to get squared up. The springs are probably not seated correctly.

So what kind of shop is this that installs a lift and sends you packing with a differential so far out of alignment that the wheel rubs the front bumper?

Good luck with getting this corrected. Let's us know how it ends up.

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
I have my spare tire on the stock carrier right now until I can get a rear bumper with a tire carrier (which will be soon). But my 1st question is it normal that the wheel is constantly making noise back there? That's too much weight for the stock carrier, that's one of the heavier wheel/tire combos. Remove it for now or you're going to cause more issues.

My 2nd question is my JK was shaking pretty bad at around 65mph. I wouldn't consider it death wobble, but it wasn't normal. I had gone back to the shop to get the AEV Procal module b/c they didn't have it in stock the first time. After driving it stopped shaking at 65mph, but now it does it around 85mph. Is this normal? check your air pressure, probably too high. Try starting it out around 28. If it still continues then check the balancing

3rd my front right tire is rubbing BAD against my stock front bumper. But my left side hardly rubs at all. What could this possibly mean? When you lift a Jeep the front axle moves. An adjustable track bar will put it back to center. But it's most likely rubbing your front air dam, not the front bumper. Cut about 1.5" or so off the sides of the airdam. You can easily remove it in the meantime. But you'll have more hood flutter w/o it.

That leads to my 4th question. I brought it to the shop to ask them why its rubbing and one of their installers told me I have a differential issue. sounds like some mumbo jumbo shop speak. Possibly trying to take advantage of someone.
Responses above in RED.

Here's some tough love for you; this is what we try to warn people about. Jumping in and throwing $ and parts at a Jeep when you haven't done the research. Now you have a jacked up Jeep and are frustrated with the results. Always start with the end in mind. Have a plan and have ALL the parts.

Now that the tough love is out of the way, don't worry, it can all be fixed. :)

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of hits but no responses, IMHO, here goes.

1) if your spare is 35 trail grabber & 20s, probably. Did the shop adjust the bump stop between the tire and the gate?
2) start with placing the rear tires on the front, if it still shakes may need to get wheels rebalanced.
3 & 4) sounds like the shop did not get the differential back in square. Will need to measure side to side and front to back and adjust to get squared up. The springs are probably not seated correctly.

So what kind of shop is this that installs a lift and sends you packing with a differential so far out of alignment that the wheel rubs the front bumper?

Good luck with getting this corrected. Let's us know how it ends up.
I don't know if they adjusted the bump stops. I think I'm just going to take off the spare until I get a tire carrier. I might take it by a shop if the shaking doesn't stop to get rebalanced. And I honestly think the guy was just BS'ing about the differential.

This is actually a really well known shop in the South Chicago area.. So I was just as surprised that I was having issues.

Anyways.. I appreciate your response and help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Responses above in RED.

Here's some tough love for you; this is what we try to warn people about. Jumping in and throwing $ and parts at a Jeep when you haven't done the research. Now you have a jacked up Jeep and are frustrated with the results. Always start with the end in mind. Have a plan and have ALL the parts.

Now that the tough love is out of the way, don't worry, it can all be fixed. :)

Good luck :thumb:

Blue Baby, I appreciate the tough love. Sometimes that's what is needed. To be fair.. I did ride stock for a year and make sure I got everything I wanted. But nonetheless I see where you are coming from. You live and you learn!

1) I knew I'd have some issues with the spare tire, but didn't think that my particular set up was that much of an issue. Not a big deal to take it off for a while until I can get a tire carrier.

2) I will lower the tire pressure and see what happens.

3) I'm ALMOST positive I had a track bar installed. I have removed the air dam and that helped a lot but ONLY the front right tire is rubbing against the bumper. The left tire doesn't. This was my main concern. But I will check with the shop regarding the track bar.

4) Yeah, he had no idea why one side was rubbing and one side wasn't. He kept loosening and tightening something trying to adjust and it was just not happening. I will make sure I don't get screwed before doing something else. My main concern with this part was that every time I hit a small bump on either tire (not with both) I hear this annoying squeak sound.

Again, I really appreciate your help and taking the time to reply. I will update after this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I assume the Teraflex kit did not come with adjustable control arms, but if it did come with arms, the passenger side may be set too long, thereby pushing the axle forward towards the bumper/air dam

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
Your tires need to be rebalanced. In your 2nd question you said it changed, you probably threw a weight. I say take it to a good alignment shop that does 4x4's and only use that other shop for installs only. If you find a good shop in your area ,ask any of the Jeep clubs, and bringing donuts to the shop helps them to remember you, and want to take good care of your vehicles..A lot of 4wheel places are not good at alignment, but get you in the ballpark it's up to you to bring it home and get what you want out of your Mods....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is your bumper straight. I put new tires and wheels on my son's 2011 JKU and the tire rubbed on the passenger side only. I looked at the bumper and it was slightly bent inwards. Took the tire off and whaled on it with a sledge hammer. Everything was good from then on. It was a stock bumper.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The rubbing on one side and not the other is a track bar issue. You need an adjustable track bar to re-center the body of the Jeep back over the axle. You probably gained 3-3.5" of lift with that kit, but the track bar length wasn't changed in that process.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would think you'd be ok with the track bar at 2.5 lift, but what do you mean you THINK the track bar was installed?? Find out. If it's an adjustable track bar, they probably adjusted it wrong.
Also, don't be so sure what you're experiencing isn't death wobble- or at least the beginnings of it. While it's all apart, put the 9/16th kit in. It's 50 bux, and super easy. At least get 9/16th bolts in the track bars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts