Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time this has happend. put it in drive, drove down the driveway 1/8 mile, turned on to the street gave it some gas and heard kind of a rattling and the sound of crumpling a large sheet of heavy grade aluminum foil, sounded like it came from the front/mid engine area. I stopped looked underneath nothing around, backed up no sounds. pulled back into the drive drove back to the house no more noises. looked undersides and in engine bay, nothing loose- sway bars/drive shafts/u-joints, heat shields/exhaust system tight. Tow hitch bolt was slightly rubbing on exhaust tip. I got back in it cranked it up took it down the street to a rough-cut trail in the woods engaged 4lo and 4hi, no problems no noises. All fluids at proper levels, trans fluid was a reddish brown, didn't smell burnt. 2000 tj 4.0L 3 spd auto, 3.73 gears, still stock. not looking for a diagnosis. just anyone been through this b4. or a jeep guru that might know. Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Jack up the front end and spin each of the front wheels. I changed my front wheel bearing hubs at around 85,000-90,000 miles as they are a sealed bearing and I'd heard they do go bad. I hadn't heard any noise while driving but after I had the old ones off even spinning one of them by hand I got a grumbling grinding noise. I've been told when they really get bad they make a good noise going down the road. This may not be your noise but it's an easy one to check before going any further.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Maybe you ran over something? I did the same thing last year. Stopped, looked at everything and found nothing. Then I saw the piece of aluminum siding on the ground. Case closed.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I had hoped that I just ran over something, but after I wrote the post, I took it out for another test drive. It doesn't do it if I'm easy on the gas, but when I did a quick take off it did it again, right as it shifted from 1st to 2nd. the sound didn't have the aluminum foil crumpling sound, but it did sound kinda rough. I did notice it doesn't do it on the down shift, I didn't try to see how 2nd to 3rd would sound. I just turned it around went back to the house and parked it. I'm gonna get with a decent local transmission shop this week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts