Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to jeeps and also the forum. I have an 03 TJ with a suspension lift (unknown brand and size), 35" tires, 4:88 gears f/r with Detroit lockers f/r. Noise started as a whistling type above 25mph. Flushed both diffs, trans and tc with no metal shavings or chipped gears. Noise still present. Replaced both front hub assy (1-was bad). Noise still there. Did some research, similar sound to serpentine belt so replaced that and idler tensioner. Sound still present. More research leads towards driveshaft. So I ordered a sye kit with cv shaft, because the TJ needed one. Any help or guidance to better troubleshoot so I can get back on the trails? Apologize if I didn't post enough info, or seems like I did enough research, but just hoping for some guidance. I appreciate the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum and that's a nice jeep you have! second of all what happened right before this noise started? did you just lift it? or get new lights or tires? anything that happened right before the whistle started.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't change anything with the vehicle. Couple weeks before went mudding and played some sand. That was the original reason to flush fluids, but noticed the noise. I'll try to get a sound clip or video of noise. Only happens when driving, not while up on jacks. Also ordered all new U-joints to include the axle ones. If not, I'll have spares for breaks on the trail. Lol

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ah haaa
Sounds to me like you have a case of the angry sparrows. Mud and sand got into your CV on the front driveshaft. Try pulling that out and drive around a bit, see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I will post updates when I have a chance to pull the front shaft.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm replacing mine soon, I could post some suggestions based on my experience with it, although it seems you're well versed in U joints

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been a while, but yes angry sparrows. Replaced centering ball joint along with all u joints on front driveshaft.... All good now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts