Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 TJ 4cyl 135k miles

I heard it once or twice before a few weeks ago and just chalked it off to something being weird since it was just a random occurrence and couldn't recreate it ever.

Today it happened 3 times within 30 minutes of driving. Not sure if it has something to do with that today was the first time in months it rained here and everything is soaked.

It's a popping noise, almost like a backfire, but from the front end. Only happens when I am driving/accelerating quickly at speed (not just casually driving) and happens right when either 4th or 5th gear catch. When I'm in 3rd or 4th, shift, goes in gear, no hesitation or anything weird performance wise but there is a 'pop' and I can feel it right under the floorboard on the drivers side by my right foot.

Can't get it to do it on purpose, but it randomly happened 3 times, all while accelerating and shifting into 4th or 5th but no engine light, no slowing down, hesitation, jerking, nothing.

What can this be?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Go over and tighten all of the screw that are holding the cross members and bash plates in place, that is exactly what happened to me, it freaked me out, but after tightening on particular bolt, the noise went away and has not returned since, Yay!!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts