Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i checked my radiator fluid and when i open the cap theres was this tan stuff all in it kinda like wood putty but a little firmer. anyone know what this could be? i have never seen this before. when you squish it it is kinda firm but does not feel like dirt but was looking and my radiator reserve tank is pretty empty. i did take it to the dealership and had them check for the infamous ticking noise. it would help if amarillo had a decent stealership!!! i havent ever sunk it in water or anything. could they have put crap in my radiator because of the head problems out of the 2012 jeeps? btw jeep only has 7k and nothing is showing in the oil...it does not look milky

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no its basically a brand new jeep...bought on 5/31/12.....isnt a little soon to HAVE to do that? lol love the jeep itself but seems like they just slap them together... cig lighter on dash dont work... steering stablilizer already leaking... i dunno lol maybe i should have bought a old one lol

·
Registered
327 Posts
Every manufacturer puts Bars Leak in every vehicle. I'm guessing yours hasn't mixed well yet.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Your expansion tank cold should have a coolant level approx. 1-2 inches above the min. fill line which is normal. It's a good size tank which will look empty, but it's not if at the level I mentioned.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Every manufacturer puts Bars Leak in every vehicle. I'm guessing yours hasn't mixed well yet.
Close. I can't remember the part number, but there is a GM product that was introduced when Caddy first built the Northstar engines. The Northstar was a "wet bore" engine, meaning that the cylinders were actually sleeves that dropped into the block and had coolant flow all the way around them. Because of the obvious potential for water "consumption" (leaks) GM designed a sealant that was put into the radiator at original assembly...and it leaves a tan "muddy" residue. Stuff works so well that ANYTIME I crack a coolant system (water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc..) I always add it when I refill the system. Seems that Jeep is now using the same type stuff in new assembly. I would like to think that it is a slightly more refined (higher quality) product than good old Bars Leak (Not saying Bars Leak doesn't work, I just think the GM stuff is the "latest and greatest"...if they trusted it enough to use it in the marque Northstar engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts