Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I am wondering if anyone has seen or heard of this issue. I recently purchased this Jeep so I cannot speak to the history leading up to the problem. I originally thought I just needed to replace a bulb.

The problem:
The Front Passenger Turn signal bulb is alternating between the two filaments. So when the turn signal is on, the two filaments alternate back and forth. The end result is not much of a signal. I have compared this to the other side that works correctly (Lights on=one filament on, turn signal=flash the 2nd filament).

Although I didn't expect it to be either of these items, I have changed both the socket and the bulb with no luck. I have compared the wiring to the driver's side and it is the same. I also checked the wires to see if perhaps a previous owner may have cross wired the socket with the side marker light (Which I think should alternate with the turn signal). That does not seem to be it as these wires are still in factory condition.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
How does the ground attached to the grill look? Sounds like a ground issue--some corrosion may be a factor here.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yes, possible bad ground. Easy to test by checking for continuity to battery negative.

Is it doing the same thing when the lights are on or only when they are off (& signaling)?

Is the side marker working normally? Compare to other side. Lights on? Signal on?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does the ground attached to the grill look? Sounds like a ground issue--some corrosion may be a factor here.
Mitch Thanks for the reply. I actually did not notice a ground wire. I will have to look at that and check it. I will reply back as soon as I can confirm. Are you saying there is a ground wire from the turn signal housing to the grill?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, possible bad ground. Easy to test by checking for continuity to battery negative.

Is it doing the same thing when the lights are on or only when they are off (& signaling)?

Is the side marker working normally? Compare to other side. Lights on? Signal on?
Hi Rubi Thanks for the reply. I actually did check with a continuity meter to ground. I used the meter setting that beeps when there is ground. I actually got a tone on all three wires. My assumption was that the tone was coming from passing through the filaments.

Also, it seems to operate ok when the lights are off, the issue is only with the lghts on.

Side marker is working ok, I had to replace the side marker bulb but it works, Also the other side works properly.

·
Registered
15,652 Posts
And check for ground on ground wire of turn signal with bulb removed or just add a good temporary ground to the ground wire and see if that solves your problem

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kindof the front turn signal has three wires a ground and a hot for each filament
The side marker has no ground as it is a floating ground

Read thru this thread for details

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/t...de-marker-lights-1163153.html#/topics/1163153

So I read through that. Thanks for posting. I will admit, still a little confused, I think I need to read through a few more times. What I am taking away from it is that I may actually have an LED bulb in the side marker lights. Again, I will have to read a few more times.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And check for ground on ground wire of turn signal with bulb removed or just add a good temporary ground to the ground wire and see if that solves your problem

I also checked the ground with the turn signal removed. All three toned with bulb removed. My assumption is that another bulb in the Jeep is allowing that to happen. I guess I could remove all bulbs. By the way, do you happen to know where these are grounded? I recognized the black is the ground wire, what I mean is where the other end of the black is grounding.

·
Registered
15,652 Posts
The park wire can ground thru the side marker then thru the turn filament to ground

The turn wire can ground thru the side marker then thru the flasher filament to the ground wire

The side marker is wired across the turn filament wire and the park filament wire

That way if park is off side marker is off unless turn filament gets plus 12 from the flasher but when that happens the side marker grounds thru the park filament to the front lights ground wires and thus flashes with turn signal

Now if park light is on
1) without turn flashing the side marker gets plus 12 thru the park filament wire and grounds via the turn signal filaments connection to ground so side marker is on steady with the park light
2) if turn filament is also flashing the side marker gets plus 12 from park filament but only gets ground when turn filament is off (again by grounding thru the turn signal filament to the ground wire) therefore with park lights and flashing turn filament the side marker flashes opposite turn signal , off when turn filament is lit and on when turn filament is off)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now if park light is on
1) without turn flashing the side marker gets plus 12 thru the park filament wire and grounds via the turn signal filaments connection to ground so side marker is on steady with the park light
2) if turn filament is also flashing the side marker gets plus 12 from park filament but only gets ground when turn filament is off (again by grounding thru the turn signal filament to the ground wire) therefore with park lights and flashing turn filament the side marker flashes opposite turn signal , off when turn filament is lit and on when turn filament is off)
So yesterday I went through all of your suggestions and the links you provided. The good news is the problem got better in that the turn signal now functions normally with the lights off. That seemed to be related to the ground. I removed the ground screw from the grill, cleaned it up and reattached it. The bad news is I still have the original issue when the lights are on.

With the lights on, I still have an alternating filament. I made a quick video so everyone can see what I am seeing.

https://youtu.be/Uzgmd9cVxqk

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts