Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on Sunday that I was getting a weird vibration in my 2000 TJ in 4th and 5th gear that stopped when I depressed the clutch pedal. It seemed to be getting worse and worse, so I took it to the shop that does all my work (I trust these guys) to get their opinion - I thought it was the pressure plate or throwout bearing. They drive it, come back, and tell me the rear is shot. We're always joking around with each other, so I figured they were kidding. The one who does all the work on my Jeep and knows it so well said the driveshaft was just flopping around everywhere. I told him I checked that, he asked if I did it with the tranny in neutral...no, didn't think about that. I'm getting some "that doesn't sound right" from my Jeep club - wondering what the consensus is here. Does that sound right, or should I get a second opinion? I've been using these guys for everything, I don't want to know that they're wrong.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Second opinions never hurt.

Being "wrong" about one diagnosis (if thats the case) doesnt mean that they are "wrong" about everything.

One quick check would be to reach up under your rig (the jeep) grab hold of the drive shaft near the rear u-joint and try to wiggle it.

If you get movement...where?

Is the u-joint serviceable (grease fitting)? If so, throw some grease in there while to are down there.

Not much help, I know. but its an easy check.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what they did to diagnose...does it matter if the transmission is in gear or neutral for the shaft shake?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts