Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 89 YJ project from a friend. It has rust in all the usual places, and I'm planning on buying the replacement floor pans and repairing the rusted out frame near the rear shackles. The weird thing about this jeep is that the, for lack of a better description, "posts" on the inside of the tub right behind the door opening are rusted out from the floor to about 8 inches above the floor. I have found replacement parts for everything else except for these posts. Has anyone else experienced this? I believe this is where the seatbelt attaches so it is kind of important.

·
Aka Vaultzz
5,624 Posts
The same thing is happening to me :(

Theres a hole in the body under that post, and water is getting up there and rusting the body from the inside out. the only way I see to fix this is to either buy a new tub or have someone cut out all of it and weld in new supports

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just fixed my passenger side. Just surf rust. Caught it early. By the time I ground out the rust it was to thin so I cut a 3x4 hole in side and welded in new metal. When outside rusts out it let all that gunk up inside that area and starts it to rust. I think the first thing a new jeep owner should purchase is a welder. Cause these things do rust!

·
Registered
188 Posts
markharmon said:
I just fixed my passenger side. Just surf rust. Caught it early. By the time I ground out the rust it was to thin so I cut a 3x4 hole in side and welded in new metal. When outside rusts out it let all that gunk up inside that area and starts it to rust. I think the first thing a new jeep owner should purchase is a welder. Cause these things do rust!
Ok what would be a good welder to buy for a decent price? Lol I'm tired of rust and have no one to do it for me

·
Registered
188 Posts
markharmon said:
I hit eBay and got a century brand for $125. If buying new you'll have to spend $350 and up to get a good entry level 110v mig. Would not do the wallie mart $99 ones.
Ok so I checked eBay and everything I see looks like Chinese to me lol could you explain a little better and recommend one for someone like me? Thanks

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Heres the (in order) Drivers side, Passenger side, and then passenger side interior. Its gonna cost an arm and a leg to repair :(

Are these the same spots you have issues tcs?
Those are the most common ones. Hell mine is a desert jeep and it had a small spot on the drivers side, looks like water and mud get trapped in that area.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Stick with name brands like miller or lincoln electric. Home depot and Lowe's sells a couple sub $500 ones. I got lucky and found based on my budget a good one. Of course century is now owned by lincoln electric so not sure they are still available. Best thing is get one find some steel and weld the heck out if it. It's fun times. I'm actually sad that I'm done with that part of the rebuild. I like working with metal and bondo. Painting not so much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts