Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking of welding my rear end has anyone dose this and what was the results did you like how did it drive on the road did you break?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
You are about to get a lot of advice on junking your D35 and putting in D44, 8.8, D60 and tractor axles. They will tell you how awful the D35 is and that they would never put any money into one.

I however will tell you not to weld it but check out a junkyard instead.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just thought i would weld it up and not spend the money on a locker think thats a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hell I'd do it just be sure to be prepared to buy an axle if it fails. But if you weld it it will be like a locker thats engaged 24/7 So have fun in the rain snow and around turns....

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
just thought i would weld it up and not spend the money on a locker think thats a bad idea?
I wouldn't but have seen others do it. Never works out to great in the long run.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hell I'd do it just be sure to be prepared to buy an axle if it fails. But if you weld it it will be like a locker thats engaged 24/7 So have fun in the rain snow and around turns....
i have done it on cars but never a jeep just wondering how bad they act beening so short

·
Registered
811 Posts
I know folks who have been very happy with welded differentials on their jeeps. The one guy I am thinking of in particular welded his Dana 70 rear, on his non-daily driver Jeep.

Now welding a D35, that seems silly to me, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
"""""i was thinking of welding my rear end """""

Sounds like that would be very painful.

And PERMANENT CONSTIPATION!

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Its your jeep do as you want. Just be ready to fix it when it busts.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maybe i just need to get a used locker. anyone know where get one?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
To explain a little bit. When you lock or weld a rear end it puts a lot more stress on it. The D35 is already a really weak axle. Most people including myself wouldnt even feel safe runing 33's and a open diff on them. When you lock or weld a D35 your setting up for disaster. I'd weld mine while I was prepping for a 8.8 swap for the fun of it and if it blew oh well the 8.8 would be going in. Theyre are super D35 kits from superior that people have had good luck with running up to a 35 inch tire on. But for the most part they are to weak to lock or weld and can hold a 31 inch tire on a open diff safely.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To explain a little bit. When you lock or weld a rear end it puts a lot more stress on it. The D35 is already a really weak axle. Most people including myself wouldnt even feel safe runing 33's and a open diff on them. When you lock or weld a D35 your setting up for disaster. I'd weld mine while I was prepping for a 8.8 swap for the fun of it and if it blew oh well the 8.8 would be going in. Theyre are super D35 kits from superior that people have had good luck with running up to a 35 inch tire on. But for the most part they are to weak to lock or weld and can hold a 31 inch tire on a open diff safely.
8.8 out of a mustang?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts