Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried posting this on another forum, but received no answer. I've got a 90amp flux wire welder, from what I was told realistically I can weld up to 3/16 (manufacturer claims 1/4). The auto rust caps are 1/8 as per the manufacturer.

This is the part I'm confused with. I've been told by some .035 flux wire actually can penetrate deeper then a 110mig. Then I was also told never to use flux on a frame? So which is it?

Also I have a small hairline rust spot forming on my frame? Could I use my cut off wheel to rut out the bad patch and just put a small weld over it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The .035 flux core wire will eles great on your frame but be sure to crank the heat and drop the wire speed low and make sure to wire wheel the area first the cleaner it is the better the weld shal take!! Good luck😝

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
The .035 flux core wire will work great on your frame but be sure to crank the heat and drop the wire speed low and make sure to wire wheel the area first the cleaner it is the better the weld shall take!! Good luck😝
Yep he is right. You will do just fine with that. Keep the heat high and the wire feed low and yes cleaning everything up is very important.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
If you're welding on the frame, you may still have problems with a 90 amp 110v welder since the frame dissipates the heat so quickly. I upgraded my Hobart 110v 135 amp welder to a 220v 180 amp Miller welder because the Hobart wasn't able to weld big pieces of 3/16" plate steel, though it could weld small pieces of 3/16" ok. So your 90 amp may be pretty well near its limits when welding on a large surface area of 1/8".

And the manufacturer was exaggerating when it said it could weld 1/4", it'd be a stretch to weld even 3/16". As said above, my old 135 amp Hobart struggled with big pieces of 3/16", let alone 1/4".

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're welding on the frame, you may still have problems with a 90 amp 110v welder since the frame dissipates the heat so quickly. I upgraded my Hobart 110v 135 amp welder to a 220v 180 amp Miller welder because the Hobart wasn't able to weld big pieces of 3/16" plate steel, though it could weld small pieces of 3/16" ok. So your 90 amp may be pretty well near its limits when welding on a large surface area of 1/8".

And the manufacturer was exaggerating when it said it could weld 1/4", it'd be a stretch to weld even 3/16". As said above, my old 135 amp Hobart struggled with big pieces of 3/16", let alone 1/4".
Jerry, would it help if I used a torch to heat the frame before I weld ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts