Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help determining what type of welder to buy and if theres any welding related equipment that i would need to buy. Also it would be helpful if you could tell me about how much you would think it might cost.

Please no comments about not being able to weld if i dont know what to buy. I have a few people that are willing to teach me. I just want to get as much feedback as i can before i go spend the money.

The reason I want to start welding is that I want to start putting more protection on my jeep and i think in the long run building my own armour would be much cheaper and more fun.

Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Miller is the best, but pricy. I have a Lincoln 180; it's a 220 volt welder and does good. Hobart 187 is also good. You are looking at 500-700 for something like that. You are going to want gas, flex core is messy. You can buy a descent mask at harbor freight, along with leather gloves. I have a cheap $20 jacket made by miller. It's nice and light, but does its job.

You are going to need a 220 welder for the thick stuff u want to do. Running 8 gauge wire to your garage/shop can get pricy, I spent close to $400 to get mine powered up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Miller is the best, but pricy. I have a Lincoln 180; it's a 220 volt welder and does good. Hobart 187 is also good. You are looking at 500-700 for something like that. You are going to want gas, flex core is messy. You can buy a descent mask at harbor freight, along with leather gloves. I have a cheap $20 jacket made by miller. It's nice and light, but does its job.

You are going to need a 220 welder for the thick stuff u want to do. Running 8 gauge wire to your garage/shop can get pricy, I spent close to $400 to get mine powered up.
Thanks for the info, didnt really think about the cost of getting it set up.
When you said id need a 220 for the thick stuff... How thick are you talking?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I also have a Weld Pack 180 made by Lincoln its perfect for all the around the house and some bigger stuff too.The thick stuff would be pretty much any thing you wanna put on your jeep dont get any thing less then a 220 unit unless all your making is wind chimes mine will do up to 1/2" not all day but it will do it.I like to hit harbor Freight any time they have a sale for grinders discs hammers and wire they have a lot of welding tools just be careful what you buy and save all receipts cuz if its electric youll be getting at least one new one before the warranty is up.I have more then paid for my bender welder notcher and every thing else I bought just by doing one of my own projects.Learning to weld is also fairly easy dont be intimidated it just takes time and when you get good you'll be the man !!

·
Registered
670 Posts
If your electrical panel is in or on your garage it wont be as much to hook up you just need a 220 breaker or two 110 your not using hopefully your panel you have will allow it if you have a electrician friend he can look and tell you what you have,I had to run conduit across the yard I think I used #6 wire a 60 amp sub pannel and it ended up more then the welder.

scroll down the build section too theres a welder ? on here every other day theres one on this page with a few more responses at the bottom right now.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My cost to hook up a 220 line was 280 bucks
But it was about 75 feet from powerbox and most of it was outside so I needed conduit (btw I bought 125 ft of wire so had alot extra so that cuts.the costmore)

If your going shorter.distance it will be way cheaper

What im saying is if you can get the 220 line get the 220 welder im glad I did:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All good advice guys, thanks! Would it be a bad idea to hook it up in my barn? Its not heated, so it would get pretty cold in the winter...

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Our welder is in our un heated garage. it just takes longer to do anything because you have to take breaks to come inside and warm up.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I second the Lincoln 180 had one for years until I needed the 255 for a higher duty cycle mainly. I own my bottles, stargon for the MIG seems to work great if you'll be welding outside every once in a while. The bottles are pricey from a supply id recommend renting. Files wire brushes wire wheel and your good. I recently got a 3m speedglas 9100 XX helmet expensive but like comparing a 20 year old tv to a plasma hd. Clarity is crazy felt like I was cheating when I took my last weld test.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i've used a lot of lincoln 110V MIG's with gass and i love them, super easy to use, and should be able to weld some thicker stuff with it, nothing too crazy, but i think for most uses it would do the job, except heavy duty frame work kinda stuff.

looking for one myself.

just my $0.02.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a Miller 180 a few years ago and thought myself how to weld. Super simple machines, easily weld 1/4" mild steel in a single pass. Well worth the money!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a miller 175 for my car stuff and fab at home, and I can do anything with it. Im a welder by trade, and I use TIG and Stick as a standard, but for everything from bumpers to skidplates to bodywork, my 175 does it all flawlessly. I do it all with .030 solid wire and gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here I go on my soap box, I bought an old Miller 35 (150amp, 220volt) mig welder that had already been converted to use a Tweco gun. Lucky for me because Miller no longer supports this machine but I bought a brand new Tweco gun for $150.00 at my local welding supply house. I use a Lincoln auto darkening helmet . Buy a good one.You will be fumbling around in the dark if you use an old school welding hood.
You will need a full face clear grinding shield and a tinted full faced shield for torch cutting is nice. I also have a Victor made torch and a Makita chop saw and a couple of 4" grinders. I keep a grinding disc on one and a 80 grit sanding disc on the other. I use the grinding disc to saddle small pipe and rough shaping and the sander to finish the fit on pipe and square tube. I seldom grind or sand my welds, they look just fine with just a little hand brushing. I suggest you take some classes at your local community college and spend your time there practicing as much as possible , the metal and consumables are well worth the cost of the class. Show the instructer that you are willing to work for your skills and you will get all the help you need. They WANT you to be a good, safe welder. Also when you do a prodject on your Jeep, don't be ashamed to fabricate and tack up your projects and get a better welder to finish the welds if you can't produce good welds. Welding is a skill that comes with practice and education.Poor equipment will drive you to frustration and maybe get you hurt.
Your Jeep is not the place to learn to weld, build a few fences and gates first, they usually don't kill anyone when they break. Don't be a "tough guy"' who doesn,t need safety gear. Yes, I weld with leather gloves, wear eye and ear protection and long sleave shirts. I also do other "weak stuff" like stopping at red lights and driving with my headlights on at night.The graveyard is full of "tough guys" ,at they ripe age of 52 I love life far too much to join them.
Yes, I have years of experience and a degree in welding and another in QC. Also support your local welding supply house and they wont treat you like a stranger when you walk in asking for help with your Chinese junk you bought on-line. Good luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
678 Posts
If you can swing a 220v machine that is really the way to go. The little 110v machines can weld some 1/8" pretty well and some even a little thicker with good results, however, they have a fairly low duty cycle and when up against that for extended periods of time it gets annoying.

I have a Miller MM251 MIG welder and a Dynasty DX300 TIG setup and they are more of production machines but very seldom am I ever even to the point where the fan will kick on with the MIG machine.

I also recommend using .030" wire vs. the more popular .035". I also use the 70s-6 vs. the -3 that is quite popular. I have found that the -6 seems to flow out better and the toes "wet in" nicer. The .030" seems a little better suited for parent material of about 3/8" and under, especially 14 gauge to about 1/4" steel. If I need to weld something thicker than 3/8" I just run a root pass and then cap it with another pass rather than switch up to thicker wire.

Mike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts