Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been practicing with my new welder and trying to teach myself to weld.Heres one of the projects Im doing.I already fixed my frame & its doing good.I dont do the most impressive welds but they will do.
I do seem to get some welds that are a bit porus,not sure what thats about

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
44 Posts
i'm far from an expert (tried to teach myself as well) ... it looks like you have a few issues. surface isn't clean and voltage too low (no penetration). I'd like to hear some of the more experienced welders comments on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a lot of experience welding with a mig. Looks like the voltage is too low/ feed rate too low. And try to create a spiraling circular motion so your weld puddles flat and penetrates. Also I can't tell but it looks like you are welding over a painted surface if you are I'd strongly suggest using acetone to remove the paint to create a solid weld. But also try to coat the steel asap either with enamel paint or greese it till you can powder coat the if not the weld will quickly begin to rust.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Were you welding it in place? If so, practice with the part/material laying on a table/ground so that you are above the weld rather than trying to weld overhead. It is easier to learn that way. +1 what Kappy117 said.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Please provide more info on your welding setup. Wire and diameter? Gas? Welder and settings used? Don't count on those welds. They are cold, porus, and severely lack penetration.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input.
Its a Hobart Handler 190
Wire is .030,solid sore
Gas set at 23
Settings-speed 60 & Voltage is at a 5
The parts are painted but where I was welding I used a grinder so the metal is clean.Been doing circles but I think I need to slow down a bit.Not sure though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the input.
Its a Hobart Handler 190
Wire is .030,solid sore
Gas set at 23
Settings-speed 60 & Voltage is at a 5
The parts are painted but where I was welding I used a grinder so the metal is clean.Been doing circles but I think I need to slow down a bit.Not sure though

I teach some welding demos at a college and that's usually the most common problem (moving too fast) if you slow down the weld heats up and pools flat and allows your weld to be one continuous semi flat stream. Allow the weld to turn into that molting hot lava flow looking stream. It will bite deeper stronger and lay flat.

Also try practicing on some scrap steel of a similar gauge, that's going to help you get your rhythm. I do this any time I start welding it helps me make sure my settings are correct as well as gives me a good warm up.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Is that the stock control arm? If so I would not recommend boxing it in like that as the control arm is a U shape to allow it to flex since the joints have limited flex.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I teach some welding demos at a college and that's usually the most common problem (moving too fast) if you slow down the weld heats up and pools flat and allows your weld to be one continuous semi flat stream. Allow the weld to turn into that molting hot lava flow looking stream. It will bite deeper stronger and lay flat.

Also try practicing on some scrap steel of a similar gauge, that's going to help you get your rhythm. I do this any time I start welding it helps me make sure my settings are correct as well as gives me a good warm up.
Thanks for the input.Ill try to slow it down.Question,what if Im welding 2 different thickneses of steel.Would I set it for the thicker or thinner metal?

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks for the input.Ill try to slow it down.Question,what if Im welding 2 different thickneses of steel.Would I set it for the thicker or thinner metal?

Set to thickest gauge and puddle on the thicker material and drag onto the thinner

·
Registered
397 Posts
Don't take it personal, but you are not ready for structural welding. Burn up a 12 1/2 lb spool in practice before trying again on something that matters. Check out your local tech college, depending on the instructor they might let you 'audit' a class or two.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Been practicing with my new welder and trying to teach myself to weld.Heres one of the projects Im doing.I already fixed my frame & its doing good.I dont do the most impressive welds but they will do.

Welding is a great trade to be skilled at; keep practicing.

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts

That bead doesnt look nearly hot enough. I'm still taking arc classes, but I'd say more heat + slower travel speed.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Is that the stock control arm? If so I would not recommend boxing it in like that as the control arm is a U shape to allow it to flex since the joints have limited flex.
x2. Boxing the factory arms is a bad idea. They are designed to twist. You risk ripping mounts off.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone.Those arms are beat anyway,plan on ordering new.Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I am by no means a professional welder, but from my experience the thing I see from the pic is the fact that you welded that control arm while it was on the Jeep. Gravity was not your friend. When you are welding upside down gravity does not allow your puddle to stay where you put it. I have encountered many spots where I had to weld upside down and it is an area that takes a lot of practice. As many others suggested, do a lot of practice on a welding table where you can set thing up to weld at comfortable positions. Worry about those not so comfortable positions after you are more comfortable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts