Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Those small welders aren't all that great for thicker metals. For the same amount you can find a good used 220v cracker box (stick welder) on Craig's list that will last you forever and do what ever you need

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ive got one of the older HF 220v welders and it does great, really depends on your skill though, Ive seen people spend big money on LE's and Millers but still can't weld worth a crap (not saying mine are perfect). I wouldn't expect it to last as long as the better brands but for the price......

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I saw the 220s on there, they aren't that much more expensive. That should be enough for the perches though, right? Don't want anything breaking on me while I'm driving lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just bought a flux cored Lincoln at lowe's. It runs off a regular 120 plug. It needs to be a 20 amp line. I paid $315 for it new. It is awesome. No gas and more than enough spark. The welds have great penetration. Works just like a mig. I got interest free for 18 months. So, it is about $17 a month.

·
Registered
250 Posts
never buy electrical tools etc from harbor freight. the one from lowes is good, TSC carries the hobarts that are good as well.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Best thing to do with Harbor Freight tools is go to their website and read reviews before buying stuff. Their welders have excellent reviews.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Before you do anything, determine if the axle housing is cast iron or cast steel. If it is cast iron, you will not be able to weld mild steel to it.

Regarding whether or not the machine in question is adequate, just rememeber this - any time you have a Jeep and a welder, you will find a multitude of projects, many of which will require a machine with more capability. Therefore, get the most machine you can afford. Your Jeep will thank you for it:).

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I plan on tacking my perches in place with my Harbor freight 220 Flux mig, then ill bring it to a local 4x4 fab shop and have them weld them the rest of the way, along with welding the tubes to the center.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts