Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to do 35" tires and the guy at discount tire said they won't mount them on my stock rims...I am pretty sure I have seen 35s mounted on stock jeep rims both online and in person am I wrong?

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's because they don't condone wheel spacers, which would be required for 35s on stock wheels. They just don't have the backspacing for those size of tires.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Highly dependent on the individual store. They mounted 315s on my stock rims and I have wheel spacers.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Most 35x12.5r17 tires are rated for an 8.5" width rim. The stock 17" rims are 7.5" wide. It will work, but it will look a bit like a balloon. You'll also need wheel spacers to prevent rubbing.

It isn't optimal, but it is safe. Don't do anything wider then a 12.5" tire on the stock rims. There is a reason you don't see 37s on the stock rims, they will come off.

I'm saving up for beadlocks, hence still running stock rims.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Most 35x12.5r17 tires are rated for an 8.5" width rim. The stock 17" rims are 7.5" wide. It will work, but it will look a bit like a balloon. You'll also need wheel spacers to prevent rubbing.

It isn't optimal, but it is safe. Don't do anything wider then a 12.5" tire on the stock rims. There is a reason you don't see 37s on the stock rims, they will come off.

I'm saving up for beadlocks, hence still running stock rims.
I don't think they look bad or too balloon like.

I was going to post the same thing. I paid for the wheels so I'm going to use them a while. But also, I'm running stock rims until I go to beadlocks. Not going to beadlocks until I go to one ton axles. That is going to take me some time so I plan on running stock wheels with spacers for a while.

·
Super Moderator
9,117 Posts
America's Tire wouldn't mount 35x12.5 tires on my factory wheels on my 2012 JKUR either for two reasons:

1. tire manufacturers don't recommend mounting 12.5 tires on rims that are less than 8 inches wide
2. America's Tire won't mount wheel spacers due to liability

I had another shop mount them for me.

For my current 2013 JKR, I went with Quadratec Moab wheels; problem solved.

Good luck,

Aldo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts