Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am pretty new to the forum: 87 with hard top and 4.2 and a 5 speed. I might be the 3rd owner or the 20th... all i know is there is alot of leaks...
front crank leak/rear main/valve cover/rear diff/front diff.
And i think that wonderful carter carb or whatever it is called is plugged.
And it doesnt like to do more than 55 in 4th. There is a general lack of power at that speed, rpm"s seem normal just no more juice.

I already replaced entire heating system, im in alaska so i needed to be able to park outside. i have about 2 weeks to work on it and fix some issues.

So, tomorrow this is what i have to order:
rear main seal
oil pan seal
valve cover seal
front crankshaft seal with balancer sleeve
timing cover seal?
pcv valve
front and rear diff sealant

So maybe im missing something, please let me know from your guys experience what i can get that might help.

I also plan to take off cat convert to see if thats a issue with the power.

forgot to add, jeep does run decent. takes a bit to get fuel to carb if it sits to long and then runs rich and idles high when running.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe look into changing out a fuel filter as well, I had an issue with my lil 4cyl not getting enough fuel and it was a fuel filter slowly clogging...tried to push fuel through it but it was having some rough times.

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
I would check carefully for vacuum leaks as well. Wouldn't hurt to run a few bottles of carb cleaner & fuel conditioner through the fuel system while you are at it.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
when I had a vehicle stop at 55 w/o going any faster... one time it was the rear brakes blew a wheel cylinder and leeked all over in the right side and made them drag horribly... the second was a clogged air filter box, full of leaves making it run like the choke was on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cleaner, conditioner, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, plug wires, and pull rear tires to check for blown seals. i will also enlist my friend to help check for vaccum leaks before i go to the store.
thanks alot guys

·
Not so Newb?
59 Posts
cleaner, conditioner, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, plug wires, and pull rear tires to check for blown seals. i will also enlist my friend to help check for vaccum leaks before i go to the store.
thanks alot guys
A general tune-up is always a good idea. I'm having similar power issues, plus a really rough idle. I've changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, and will be hitting the MAF sensor next. Used fuel system cleaners, too. Next to be checked is the compression (might have a head leak) and prep for an aftermarket intake.

The easy way to check if you might have a misfire, which might be part of my problem, is let it run for a couple minutes. Then pull one wire, listen for a change, and put it back. If one of the pulled wires doesn't cause an addible change, you might have a compression problem.

Good luck and don't forget to repost when you've got the problem licked. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
funny guys but on a serious note here, im already at a major dilema.........i need to do so much to this engine as far as all the seals and card and now ive decided to remove all emissions stuff completely. i will do the nutter bypass i think. But im at a point where maybe i should just yank motor and work on it on a stand. what do you guys think?

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
funny guys but on a serious note here, im already at a major dilema.........i need to do so much to this engine as far as all the seals and card and now ive decided to remove all emissions stuff completely. i will do the nutter bypass i think. But im at a point where maybe i should just yank motor and work on it on a stand. what do you guys think?
How much time did you say you have left? Also, do you have a shop you can do it in? Also, how well stocked is your tool collection? Just trying to get an idea of what kind of recommendation to give.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i have a decent garage, i think i have most of the tools including 4000$ enginge stand from work!(we bought it for the mechanic to rebuild big marine jets)
i also forgot to add i am getting a 2.5 inch rough country at the end of this week to install. so theres alot of work to do.

but now thinking about it, being in alaska i can be along way from a tow truck so i need to make sure this jeep runs very reliable.

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
I would go ahead & pull the motor then, & give everything a good once & twice over. Better to do some preventive maintenance on the motor now, then trying to repair it in the snow, IMO. If you have the tools & funds, I say go for it. I would go ahead & check your clutch, pressure plate, & throwout bearing while you were at it. It would save you from a headache later :thumb:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I think you are right toolman, anyway I slice it the pros of pulling motor outway cons. Thing is I have zero funds for the jeep, the lady is objecting to every penney I spend... oh well I will spend anyway!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts