Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing is easy! Even the easy stuff is hard. :)

Upon discovering a Wrangler with electric door locks could be easily defeated by raising the unsecured hood and using a couple of 9 volt batteries to unlock the doors, and because all that stuff under the hood is susceptible to thievery, I wanted something to at least make it harder.

After reading a bunch of reviews, I decided the Mopar hood lock was the way to go, strongly influenced by the fact it uses the existing ignition key.

Then, I find out I need a special pop riveter to handle the 1/4" rivets. Then I realize to use the riveter on the two lower holes, the grill has to come off. Normally that wouldn't be too much of an issue but to get my grill off, it looks like I'll have to remove the winch and mounting plate - uuuugh.

Well I then read that this lock is easily defeated by moving the hood safety catch with an ice pick, coat hanger, etc. A coat hanger properly bent could probably defeat the lock faster than you could open the hood with a key.

So, I put in a 'blocker' as several have done and tested it - that fixed that problem.

I mounted the lock with just the two top rivets; I'll probably dismount the winch and plate next weekend and install the lower two rivets.

Well, I'm almost there and I do have some pretty good protection against raising the hood unimpeded. It might not stop a determined thief, but it will the causal opportunist. It's a whole lot better than nothing.

Now to install lug nut locks and then an anti-theft to harden the winch mount, then some way to lock the winch lever in place to make it more difficult to steel the syn rope.

Thieves are a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a soft top. All these points are moot for me. LOL
Not really, they can still steal your winch, winch cable, wheels, spare tire, battery, and anything else under the hood.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If installing stuff onto my jeep is any show of how hard it will be for someone to take it off I jest need to remember to not park in bad areas, it was a pain to put most of it on, but not to digress thanks for the info if I ever pick to do that

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not really, they can still steal your winch, winch cable, wheels, spare tire, battery, and anything else under the hood.
Under the hood stuff, sure. But preventing them from popping my door locks when I have a soft top is sort of pointless. Any moron that can work a zipper or a pocket knife can access my interior.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you give more info on this blocker for the hood lock? Thanks
Oh man, you would ask that - or better, oh no, I didn't make any pics! :(

Actually it's a pretty simple thing. Here's the problem and a verbal description of how to fix it. Maybe I can get some pics posted later.

The Mopar lock, locks when the key rotates a bracket into the hood safety 'hook'. The problem is it is possible to move the hook is spring loaded and it is possible to use a 'tool' to pull the hook away from the lock bracket, which will disengage the hook from the lock bracket.

The solution, at least to that problem is to limit the travel of the hook so that it cannot be pulled away from the locking bracket. I simply drilled a hole in the front of the lock body and put a bolt through the hole such that it blocks the hook.

The hard part is figuring out where the hole needs to be drilled. Boy, I wish I had made some pics. The bolt has to go low enough to not interfere with mounting the lock and close enough to the hook to limit it's travel.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Under the hood stuff, sure. But preventing them from popping my door locks when I have a soft top is sort of pointless. Any moron that can work a zipper or a pocket knife can access my interior.
True, locking the hood won't stop them from getting inside your vehicle but locking the hood might prevent them from stealing stuff under the hood as well as stuff in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
hey.....the Lock is just a more subtle level of 'profiling' just as most mall-crawler flash serves....it gives the impression of something being true whether it is or not.

I find actually locking my hood lock DOES bring a sensation of a greater level of 'security' whether it does or not. We can all hypothesize ways for a thief to get whatever he wants....and all we can do is make it just a little-bit more trouble. Or not.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey.....the Lock is just a more subtle level of 'profiling' just as most mall-crawler flash serves....it gives the impression of something being true whether it is or not.

I find actually locking my hood lock DOES bring a sensation of a greater level of 'security' whether it does or not. We can all hypothesize ways for a thief to get whatever he wants....and all we can do is make it just a little-bit more trouble. Or not.
+1 - nicely said!

Somebody put it like this, "I can't stop them from steeling my stuff, but I can make it a lot easier and safer for them to steel somebody else's stuff."

And that's what it's about - making it harder, making it take more time, raising the risk of getting caught. The reality may be that anti-theft devices makes the would-be look for easier, faster steels.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Oh man, you would ask that - or better, oh no, I didn't make any pics! :(

Actually it's a pretty simple thing. Here's the problem and a verbal description of how to fix it. Maybe I can get some pics posted later.

The Mopar lock, locks when the key rotates a bracket into the hood safety 'hook'. The problem is it is possible to move the hook is spring loaded and it is possible to use a 'tool' to pull the hook away from the lock bracket, which will disengage the hook from the lock bracket.

The solution, at least to that problem is to limit the travel of the hook so that it cannot be pulled away from the locking bracket. I simply drilled a hole in the front of the lock body and put a bolt through the hole such that it blocks the hook.

The hard part is figuring out where the hole needs to be drilled. Boy, I wish I had made some pics. The bolt has to go low enough to not interfere with mounting the lock and close enough to the hook to limit it's travel.
If you wouldn't mind tasking a few pictures from various angles of your lock and where the extra blocker bolt is that would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Not to jack the thread about Mopar locks, but I installed the Tuffy lock Saturday and did it in 10 minutes. The 4 existing holes in the radiator framework get used needing only to be threaded with a supplied threading bolt. Everything lines up perfectly and easily with no issue. Here's a link to the lock
: Tuffy 2007+ JK Hook Lock

It also helps solve hood bounce in high winds or as semis pass.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In fact, I've searched the internet and YouTube and I can only find one reference to this and it's the one I linked above.

That makes me think somebody has got something wrong about this.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Not to jack the thread about Mopar locks, but I installed the Tuffy lock Saturday and did it in 10 minutes. The 4 existing holes in the radiator framework get used needing only to be threaded with a supplied threading bolt. Everything lines up perfectly and easily with no issue. Here's a link to the lock
: Tuffy 2007+ JK Hook Lock

It also helps solve hood bounce in high winds or as semis pass.
Yeah this one is so much cheaper than the Mopar and supposedly is very good. The thing I like about the Mopar is it is keyed to your Jeep key and it has a dust cover over the keyhole. The tuffy has an optional spring flip open dust cover but it is bulky and chrome so maybe stands out visually a lot.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'm looking to put locks on too anyone have any experience with the one that replaces the hood latches with ones with key holes in them, I forgot the brand they were but they look good just don't know how sturdy they are

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm looking to put locks on too anyone have any experience with the one that replaces the hood latches with ones with key holes in them, I forgot the brand they were but they look good just don't know how sturdy they are
I looked at those and read reviews of people that bought them. There were a lot of comments about the hook locks pulling the hood down so hard that, not only were they hard to latch, but the hood made contact with the fender and rubbed paint off.

Plus, they don't key to the ignition key so you have to carry another key with you. If you took the Jeep some place to get it worked on and forgot to leave the hood lock key....

The fact that the Mopar keys to the ignition key was a BIG factor for me. Convenience for me and if I left the Jeep to have work done on it, one key does it all.

Plus like D-Man604 pointed out, "...The thing I like about the Mopar is it is keyed to your Jeep key and it has a [water resistant to say the least] dust cover over the keyhole. The tuffy has an optional spring flip open dust cover but it is bulky and chrome so maybe stands out visually a lot."

·
Super Moderator
23,446 Posts
I am not sure why but the longer you own them the less you worry about things. I did not like having a locking gas cap or hood but 2 years later I never even give either a second thought. I use to run a coated steel cable thru my spare but not now I just use a single bolt (brand) keyed lug lock even tho I know someone can easily defeat it with a crescent wrench. I worry about my synthetic line but know that in a few months that will also pass. I still lock my doors tho when parked at the mall :)
Maybe cover it in Glock and S&W stickers or the one I saw the other day. "I have been to prison and kind of miss my buddies so don't mess with my stuff"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts