Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
gonna need a diesel for that

·
Registered
298 Posts
That was gods way of telling you that the POS suburban needs to stay stuck and to let the jeep do the off roading lmao

·
Registered
738 Posts
One of my buddies buried his Blazer up to the doors the other week and a Chevy 2500HD couldn't even get him out. I got him out with the winch though, they're easily one of the best investments you can get for a Jeep

·
Registered
739 Posts
One of my buddies buried his Blazer up to the doors the other week and a Chevy 2500HD couldn't even get him out. I got him out with the winch though, they're easily one of the best investments you can get for a Jeep
Probably a newbie question, but Im new to the off roading world and have no idea how winches truely work ... But to pull him out with it, do you just hook it up, pull the ebrake, and hope for the best?? How does winching someone out work?

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Probably a newbie question, but Im new to the off roading world and have no idea how winches truely work ... But to pull him out with it, do you just hook it up, pull the ebrake, and hope for the best?? How does winching someone out work?
Watch some YouTube videos, google snatch block & winching safely. Go with a group of Experienced Jeepers listen watch learn! Done improperly it can KILL YOU!

·
Registered
738 Posts
That's one way to do it.

The best way is to have d-rings on your rear bumper so you can anchor yourself to a tree or something sturdy, but that's really only if whatever you're pulling out is stuck pretty good.

One thing you never want to do though is use your winch line like it's a tow strap, by this I mean never try to pull anything with the Jeep itself otherwise the winch line could break and that's just something you want to avoid at all costs.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Watch some YouTube videos, google snatch block & winching safely. Go with a group of Experienced Jeepers listen watch learn! Done improperly it can KILL YOU!
hah I've actually been doing that since I asked my question. Pretty interesting
That's one way to do it.

The best way is to have d-rings on your rear bumper so you can anchor yourself to a tree or something sturdy, but that's really only if whatever you're pulling out is stuck pretty good.

One thing you never want to do though is use your winch line like it's a tow strap, by this I mean never try to pull anything with the Jeep itself otherwise the winch line could break and that's just something you want to avoid at all costs.
You mean hook the winch up, and put the jeep in say reverese and then pull?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Generally, a hub-deep stuck takes a pull force equal to the total weight of the vehicle, assuming a relatively flat pull. A stuck to the top of the tires takes a pull ~two times the total weight of the stuck vehicle. Fender deep, ~three times the weight of the stuck vehicle.

Then you can add more if the pull is uphill, or if you have to overcome any hidden/buried obstacles (logs, etc)
Pretty easy to see a 4000 lb rig wasn't going to have much success pulling out the 6000 lb 'burb if the Jeep wasn't anchored to something immoveable. Depending on how deep the 'burb was stuck, it would need a pull of 12 to 18000 lbs... probably would have maxed out the winch without at least a snatch block.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts