Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my check from Geico for my TJ Sahara that was drowned in Sandy.

(moment of silence for a great ride.)

Went for my first ride in a JK today. I know I am preaching to the choir in this forum, but I have to say to the doubters, that from the first sound of the engine (kind noisy and distinctly jeepy in my opinion) to the ride it was proof that these are very much still jeeps with the same deep bloodlines.

I'm convinced. I had been entertaining another TJ but a cruise in the loaner today did it for me.

So now I have the problem.... I really want one in Crush, though I can't really say why, just a gut reaction. With the distinct possibility that I can't dig up a Crush, I am wrestling with color. I almost convinced myself on the dozer but it was really not it for me. Second place seems to be the deep cherry red. My Sahara was your standard green/khaki and I was thinking I'd go more fun this time around.

Aside from color, and here are my thoughts:

Primary criteria:
Sport S_ 2 door
Auto (admittedly too much city time to want another manual, plus have heard all good things about this auto)
3.73 gear
Dual top group

Could go either way:
Tow package (installed myself on last two jeeps, seems cheaper)
Connectivity (for the most part I'd like a less electronic vehicle)
Air bags-seems like tempting fate to turn down safety gear.

Things I'd rather not have:
Power package-first thing I did on the test drive was reach for the Window crank. Missed it. Seems like most of the jeeps on the lot had it though, so unless I go with a build, may end up with electronics. I really hate the dimming mirrors though in every other car I have driven.

Options offered that I am thinking aftermarket instead:
Slip differential
Side step bars
Possible stereo upgrade
Eventually (or sooner)thinking about swapping out tires and rims for duratracs or something similar.

I feel like an outcast for not wanting the power group. Anyone out there skip it and regret or vice versa?

What did you skip at ordering time that you wished you had?

Thanks also to this forum for the many many posts I have been reading since the TJ died while re-educated myself on available choices. This will make the third consecutive body style for me!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Im not sure why you would recommend for the OP to get an FJ, unless that was sarcasm, but anyways. The one thing I would recommend getting from the factory that you haave missed would be the LSD. Its a 200 some dollar option and in my experience it has been worth it. It kicks in a lot when im trying to crawl a ledge or rocky area and acts much like a locker, the increase in traction is significant. I'm sure to get one put in aftermarket it would cost more. Usually I would also recommend only get the soft top, but seeing as you are in the Northeast I think the hard top would be good for the winter months. Sorry about your TJ, but good luck and hopefully you will be a member of the JK community soon! :thumb:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion on the lsd. I was on the fence. (I think I'll pass on the FJ suggestion.)

The hard top is a must for me-I had a YJ with half doors and a soft top for several NY winters as my daily driver. I don't think I want to go that way again!

That said, I usually hold out as long as I can before making the switch and get the softie back on as early too! At least with these tops it isn't an all or none thing.

I was never overly kind to my last two jeeps and I am honest enough to admit that the interior of these new models makes me fear the buckets of sand I always seem to vacuum out at the end of summer.

I'm hoping the dealer can put something together. Will know more on Monday.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was messing around. Sorry bored at work. Definitely get the LSD and better gearset. The soft top will be fine in the winter. The heat in the JKs is on par with if not better than my TJ was. I cannot leave the heat on high for more than the time it takes to get the chill out of the cabin. After that it is on half way temp and low fan.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok- I am getting closer. But it seems like a lot of the models on the lots don't have the 3.73 gearing. From everything I have read here, that sounds like one to hold fast to. Might mean some color flexibility, or waiting it out.

The dealer is looking for me now, but I'd like to "assist". When I go through cars.com or similar, I see that the gear spec is often not listed. Any suggestions on how to press for this criteria?

Thanks again to this forum for all the massive information I have been gathering!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Order it from the factory. I think that's just a better idea for jeepers who know what they want.

It's going to be tough to find them on the lot without power windows, and 3.73s are hard to come by too.

If I was getting a 2 door, I'd get handcrank windows. For a 4 door, they're a hassle--sometimes you need to control the rear windows from the drivers' seat. But for a 2 door, I'd say go ahead.

The factory LSD is actually a really "good deal"--it's very functional, and for only $300 or so, you can't beat it. Is an aftermarket TrueTrac better? Sure, but it's going to cost a lot more than $300 to get it into your diff. JMHO.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yep MTH is right. I wanted a 2 door, 3.73s, no power package, soft top, automatic, connectivity preferred but not required, and I just couldn't find a match. I had to order it, but I'm glad I didn't compromise and got exactly what I wanted.

I haven't owned a vehicle with manual windows / locks in about 20 years, and so far, I don't mind the roll ups one bit. I'm an audiophile so I really like the connectivity. I didn't go for the LSD because I'm planning selectable lockers eventually, but it does sound like a great deal if that is what you'll be happy with.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,294 Posts
What MTH is also saying is that power windows = good if you have kids. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.