Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lifted my 2016 JK with a 2 1/2 teraflex 1251002 and added 35"s but kind of regretting not going a little higher on the lift after my jeep parked next to a few that had a higher kit.

If I decided to change it over to a 3 1/2 or 4 inch do I need to change everything again or am I in luck with just a partial change.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I have the 3 inch TF and now think the 2.5 is a better way to go. A little less CA angle and you'll still fit 35's. Flat fenders don't look as good on a 3 inch and 35's and you can run 37's with a 2.5 and flat fenders, I think. If you really want to go another inch just get the TF 1 inch spacers. Might also need shock extensions. It's easier to enter and exit a 2.5.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I personally think that 2 1/2 is great on a JK but on a JKU a little short with 35's. The problem with many 3 inch lifts is you don't know what you'll really end up with, seems you can end up all over the board.
In any event you have the best of both worlds – simply add a TeraFlex leveling kit, 2 inches front 1 inch rear and you will be sitting perfectLy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
No worries, a cheap 1" or 1/2" coil spring spacer will give you the extra height you want.

1"_Front

1"_Rear

It's pretty common to use them with existing coil lifts when adding additional weight like bumper, armor, or a winch.

·
Registered
118 Posts
1 1/4 body is another good option without messing with the geometry. Mine came with the rear bumper lift brackets and you cant even tell there is a body lift on it

·
Super Moderator
14,877 Posts
I recently lifted my 2016 JK with a 2 1/2 teraflex 1251002 and added 35"s but kind of regretting not going a little higher on the lift after my jeep parked next to a few that had a higher kit.

If I decided to change it over to a 3 1/2 or 4 inch do I need to change everything again or am I in luck with just a partial change.
What did you install for caster correction? If nothing, you will need to address that with front lower control arms or geometry brackets. But as above, put on some 1/2, 3/4 or 1" spacers and you will be where you want. Do not add a leveling kit, your springs have already done the leveling for you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did the TF leveling kit - 2" front, 1" rear, Rancho 9000s all around, 35s, and Bushwacker fenders. Love the look, and it's very functional without being too high. Good articulation and no rubbing. Not too difficult to climb into.

But it also depends on your objective. Remember, when off-road, your clearance is limited by the lowest point on your jeep, and that would be the differentials. The only way to raise them up is to increase tire size.

If you just want to look cool next to your buddies, go for the lift.

·
Super Moderator
14,877 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Based upon what the OP wrote, I would go with a 1.25" body lift with bumper relocation bracket.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You didn't mention it, but are you looking to go to 37's then? I find it's the tires that give it 'the look', but if it's just more height you want some of the cheaper options have been mentioned. But if you are looking at 37's... there are other issues that start to creep in.

It's hard to use the word 'need' in these things, because nothing will snap in half immediately, and if you aren't wailing on the thing, you can manage without many of the upgrades that typically go with 3-4 inch kits... like longer/adjustable control arms, longer/adjustable track bars... stuff to get the geometry a bit better.

The shocks depend on where you are in the travel already... if you aren't hitting the end at max drop, you are going to have that shock extended another 1-2 inches so might be out of travel. Extensions work... again... there are the 'best' solutions, and then the ones that are affordable. Some people go a long time and have fun with a $2000 4 inch kit... some people turn it into a $10000 upgrade.

Just discuss the 'safe word' with your shop so they know when you want to stop...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What shocks do you have? Any caster correction?

Pressurized- Sorry but I am still really new on all this so I couldn't tell you if it had any caster correction. The suspension lift was installed by Southern Off Road next to my house. The kit I provided them was this.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/teraflex-25-lift-kit-jk-1251000.html

Thanks again for all your help. I swear when we bought this Jeep my Wife and I said we would leave it stock now we cant stop.

·
Super Moderator
14,877 Posts
Perfect. Those front shocks are pretty short to add another 1" up front in my opinion...

So, what to do? I would probably add 1" spacers in front and rear, replace those front shocks with the same shock in the next longer size and add some TF Alpine front lower control arms to correct caster at that height. Probably around $400 to get it set up good.

From there, you will probably want to add an adjustable front track bar at some point. It seems like it never ends, right? That's because I don't think it ever does...

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I have all 8 arms the Alpine and they are really a nice quality unit. The TF spacers don't cost that much. The TF track bars are as solid as they get and make adjusting the F & R easy.

·
Registered
853 Posts
image-2080412249.jpg
mine has a 2.5" tfx coil lift with 37" gy mtr's,I couldn't imagine needing to be much taller?everything I've read says lcog builds are the best choice for climbing and you'll also save money on extra geometry correction parts etc...flat fenders may make your jeep look much taller and the only thing that gives you true (pumpkin)clearance is taller tire's.just be careful...you may feel 35" tires/flat fenders with a 2.5" lift may look too lifted/your tires look too small?thats why a lot of jeepers just do a leveling kit at most with flat fenders and 35" tires(you may want 37" tires?).a stock jeep and a jeep with a 6" lift have the same exact pumpkin clearance/the height won't change at all!the only thing that will give you more ground (pumpkin)clearance is larger tire's.just get flat fenders,you already have the perfect/safest lift in my opinion.if you think the tire's look too small after adding flat fenders...just get taller tire's.

·
Registered
853 Posts
View attachment 3728537
mine has a 2.5" tfx coil lift with 37" gy mtr's,I couldn't imagine needing to be much taller?everything I've read says lcog builds are the best choice for climbing and you'll also save money on extra geometry correction parts etc...flat fenders may make your jeep look much taller and the only thing that gives you true (pumpkin)clearance is taller tire's.just be careful...you may feel 35" tires/flat fenders with a 2.5" lift may look too lifted/your tires look too small?thats why a lot of jeepers just do a leveling kit at most with flat fenders and 35" tires(you may want 37" tires?).a stock jeep and a jeep with a 6" lift have the same exact pumpkin clearance/the height won't change at all!the only thing that will give you more ground (pumpkin)clearance is larger tire's.just get flat fenders,you already have the perfect/safest lift in my opinion.if you think the tire's look too small after adding flat fenders...just get taller tire's.

I would say a 3.5" lift for 40's and a 4.5" lift for 42's would be best but $$$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
At times I feel I may have gone too high at 3 inches. 35's and flat fenders won't look right. Lucky with just a set of springs I can go back down. Not today.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts