Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I will be driving from Los Angeles to western BC, Canada in late December with my parents and am looking at spending a couple nights at Belton Chalet, in West Glacier.

Based on what I've been reading, the roads on the west side to the Chalet are maintained in winter, including 11 miles of Going-to-the-Sun scenic road to Lake McDonald.

We will be coming up from the south via I-15, and leaving west towards Spokane, WA and Stevens Pass via US-2.

I have experience driving in the snow by having lived in Canada before. I will be taking my Unlimited Sahara with a rear TrueTrac LSD and Duratracs, a shovel and a recovery rope.

The travel guides warn of unpredictable weather, as is to be expected. Are the roads in that area open and passable most of the time? Is there anything else I should be aware in particular that time of year?

Thanks in advance,

Aldo

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
plan on staying at Essex, Isaac walton Inn rent a refurbished caboose, it is very cool. generally the roads ie US 2 get plowed regularly. just driving from W glacier to lake mcdonald is not all that exciting. Whitefish is a cool town and worth spending some time in. Grouse Mountain lodge is nice has great food and a great xc ski area.

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips!

Isaac Walton Inn does look cool!

Essex is situated well into the middle of the park. Is it accessible through winter?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

Winter is best time to be there. they have a great xc ski area and great bar and restaurant.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
it is a cool place winter and summer.

lots of Cabooses and even an locomotive converted to lodging.

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is a cool place winter and summer.

lots of Cabooses and even an locomotive converted to lodging.
Question: do you know if Hwy 2 is open through winter?

I am looking to head from Butte to Essex from the east side of the park, and then continue on west across the park to Whitefish.

Will I be able to drive across the park via Hwy 2?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Yes it stays open but winter storms can blow in and perhaps short term closures can occur. I was on Logan pass Saturday and was in a snow storm but two miles down the west side sunny. Saw a little bear walking the gaurd rail like a circus bear.:)

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha nice!

I will plan on doing that then.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We are booked for Izaak Walton Inn for two nights in late December.

We well take two days to drive up I-15 from Los Angeles to Butte, then on to Essex, spending two nights there, sightseeing Glacier National Park, then across to Whitefish, and then another day to head to BC, Canada, in time for the Holidays.

It is going to be epic.

Thank you so much for all the tips!

Aldo

·
Super Moderator
10,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys,

We are just completing our winter tour of Glacier National Park and western Montana.

It's been awesome!

Make sure to check the highlights on the General JK forum.

Best,

Aldo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts