Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited (TJ/LJ) that seems to collect water in the front passengers floor pan, under my carper (?). It ends up molding and smelling, I can dry it out and air it but it seems to come back. It doesn't appear to happen for any particular reason (i.e., rain). Any ideas? Could it possibly be from the air conditioner? I had a Chrysler Lebaron once that leaked inside the car when the condensation hose came loose and dumped into the car.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Your ac/ heat exchanger is leaking or the drain for the condensation is clogged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
might check your the drain for the cowl. That has a tendancy to pack up with debris. Then water backs up and pours into the vent draining into the passenger floor.

This is if the water appears after it's been raining.

If it is after you use the AC... Well then I agree with the previous suggestion

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've got a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited (TJ/LJ) that seems to collect water in the front passengers floor pan, under my carper (?). It ends up molding and smelling, I can dry it out and air it but it seems to come back. It doesn't appear to happen for any particular reason (i.e., rain). Any ideas? Could it possibly be from the air conditioner? I had a Chrysler Lebaron once that leaked inside the car when the condensation hose came loose and dumped into the car.
In my "leaks like a siv" JK, I found that it just takes careful attention to find the leaks by looking in all the places around and looking for water trails. I'm still looking for some but slowly eliminating them.

However it sounds like you have a terminally defective LJ though and should get rid of it. Let me know where you're located I'll be glad to take it off your hands. ;)

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Have you noticed any difference in the engine coolant reservoir level? Has the engine temperature remained within proper temp? These could indicate a leaking heater core.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Having same problem! Only gets wet under passenger seat nowhere else. Have replaced door seal didn't stop it. It doesn't get wet under floor mat. The AC drain is draining fine. I can't find the cowl drain. And it only gets wet when it rains. This problem started about a year ago I am about to rip what little hair I have out!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Having same problem! Only gets wet under passenger seat nowhere else. Have replaced door seal didn't stop it. It doesn't get wet under floor mat. The AC drain is draining fine. I can't find the cowl drain. And it only gets wet when it rains. This problem started about a year ago I am about to rip what little hair I have out!
Open the hood, and there is a screw along the edge on each side behind the weather stripping, pull those out. Close the hood and pull off the wiper arms, then remove the 4 screws along the top and the one in the louver.

After that you can remove the cowl cover. In the very center underneath is a sheet metal tunnel that runs straight down...that is the cowl drain. There is a rubber flapper on the bottom that you cannot see, but they get plugged up with leaves and debris and cause the area to fill up with rain/car wash water, then spill over and come through your fresh air vents. Take something long and flat, like a yard stick, and stick it down through the flapper on the bottom (you have to feel for it) then turn it sideways to open it up. Use a hose with a sprayer on it and flush it out real good...you should see all kinds of junk coming out from under your Jeep.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Outed!

Maybe you just scared your passenger while doing something crazy...
Never thought of that! If it wasn't the case before it is now! Not unlike the time I dropped my hardtop from overhead storage and scuffed it on the wall on the way down - you know. those bear claw marks ;-)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Mine did the same thing. The reason was the a/c condensation drain on the firewall. I didn't have the problem until I put a small lift on my rig. Seems the air passing under the chassis creates enough turbulence on lifted jeeps pushes the condensation back in the tube and backs up into the passenger compartment. Mopar makes a rubber tube with a 90 degree end which slips over the factory drain. Costs about $8. Problem solved.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I Had This Problem Last Year

I had a new heater core installed Feb 2013 and one month later I had a lake on the passenger side floor of green liquid sloshing around. Needless to say the mechanic was not happy to do it again. But the one he bought doesn't leaking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounding even more familiar!

Mine did the same thing. The reason was the a/c condensation drain on the firewall. I didn't have the problem until I put a small lift on my rig. Seems the air passing under the chassis creates enough turbulence on lifted jeeps pushes the condensation back in the tube and backs up into the passenger compartment. Mopar makes a rubber tube with a 90 degree end which slips over the factory drain. Costs about $8. Problem solved.
That's good information as I too added a small 2" leveling lift. I can see the condensation tube sticking out of the firewall and it looks like it's wet on the rim/lip. I think given the thread and information this is my issue. Any chance you have the part number or any search terms? Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Evaporator Drain Hose

That's good information as I too added a small 2" leveling lift. I can see the condensation tube sticking out of the firewall and it looks like it's wet on the rim/lip. I think given the thread and information this is my issue. Any chance you have the part number or any search terms? Thanks!
I did some more research and found the part. It's 56000724AB (MOPAR).

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Open the hood, and there is a screw along the edge on each side behind the weather stripping, pull those out. Close the hood and pull off the wiper arms, then remove the 4 screws along the top and the one in the louver. After that you can remove the cowl cover. In the very center underneath is a sheet metal tunnel that runs straight down...that is the cowl drain. There is a rubber flapper on the bottom that you cannot see, but they get plugged up with leaves and debris and cause the area to fill up with rain/car wash water, then spill over and come through your fresh air vents. Take something long and flat, like a yard stick, and stick it down through the flapper on the bottom (you have to feel for it) then turn it sideways to open it up. Use a hose with a sprayer on it and flush it out real good...you should see all kinds of junk coming out from under your Jeep.
how far down should the yard stick go down? Mine only goes about 8".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts