Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have 23,000 miles on my OEM BFG KM LT255/75R17's with 13/32nds on my 2017 JKUR. In the rain in the fall here in Indiana, I have a severe decrease in traction on pavement. Both starts, stops, and curves involve considerable slippage. Therefore I'm looking at switching them out for a set with better wet pavement traction and hopefully no decrease in snow or off road traction. BFG KO2's? Other suggestions? Also should I consider changing sizes on my stock, OEM Rubi Recon? Not sure something like a 255/80R17's is easily available in a KO2. Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Currently I have 23,000 miles on my OEM BFG KM LT255/75R17's with 13/32nds on my 2017 JKUR. In the rain in the fall here in Indiana, I have a severe decrease in traction on pavement. Both starts, stops, and curves involve considerable slippage. Therefore I'm looking at switching them out for a set with better wet pavement traction and hopefully no decrease in snow or off road traction. BFG KO2's? Other suggestions? Also should I consider changing sizes on my stock, OEM Rubi Recon? Not sure something like a 255/80R17's is easily available in a KO2. Thanks!
There aren't a lot of 255/80/17 tires available, though I think the KO2 is one of them. There's a significant premium because this size is fairly unusual.

I'm in much the same boat as you; the KM tires don't have much in the way of siping, so they aren't the greatest wet pavement traction or the best on packed snow/ice. I actually ran a set of Goodyear SRAs (the tires that are stock on Sport S models) for winter last year, and they are a bit better on wet pavement, and quite a bit better on ice/packed snow (though they aren't very good in fresh snow). I'm now looking at tires to have mounted on a set of rubi wheels, so I'll be able to simply swap from KMs for offroading to a set of all terrain, 4 season tires for normal driving.

I've heard good things about the KO2, but they are fairly expensive. I've also been looking at Duratracs (which seem to be very highly regarded on this and other Jeep forums), which have good wet and snow traction. And at the Cooper AT3, particularly the 4S tires (which are extreme weather rated).

Initially I wanted to go to an 80 series tire for the extra bit of height, but the extra cost, combined with the fact that I plan to keep running KMs for off road use, has me sticking with the stock size.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
In the same size the Cooper AT3 is available at an awesome price. I loved my Duratracs for 3 different Jeeps, but can be close to the same price as the KO2s. Locally, I sold my KMs for $400 on Craigslist. You should be able to recover some money from them.

You could get rubbing if you go up a size, but it should be minor unless you wheel alot. I appreciate a beefier look though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just put on Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws in 255/80-17 this weekend and so far I'm really happy with them with the few miles I've put on them. Tried them out in the little bit of slush and rain we had yesterday and they seem pretty good. This is a new size for this tire and I only found one place that had them. I was able to get them for $165 a tire online.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the Falken Wildpeak AT3s too and I loved them. They road nice, were fairly quiet and not terribly expensive. I had them on my Ram for about 35k miles before I traded it in, but we have them on my wife's Grand Cherokee too. They did great in the snow in Northern Idaho. Before those I had the KO2s and they were good for about 40k miles and then they started to get pretty squirrelly on wet pavement.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Duratrac's in stock size are passenger car rated, with relatively soft sidewalls that reportedly don't hold up on rocky trails, etc. The are winter snowflake rated, however, I am considering Falken AT3W tires E rated in 235-80-17 which are 1/4" less diameter, and .8" narrower, $157 at Discount Tire. They are snowflake rated also, and seem to be well regarded on this forum.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/packed-with-technology-falken-wildpeak-a-t3w-1632929.html

·
Registered
678 Posts
Another vote for the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, they've been great so far. I bought them off of Tire Buyer, had them shipped to my house and took them to Costco to be mounted. Really easy process, they'll even ship directly to installers and got them for a little under $160 a tire in 285/70/R17.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
Doc it seems we share a home state and I understand your concerns. I'm presently running 315 Duratracs that have just over 50,000 miles on them. On wet roads, snow or ice they do better than anything else I've used but now that they have 50,000 on them I'm seeing a bit of reduced reliability which seems to be the norm for most any tire. I travel way too much and wheel more than most and have been really happy with these tires all around. I also have a set of Cooper and a set of Cepek on wheels that have nearly no miles on them because they just don't measure up and I will likely make some poor soul a deal on them just to get rid of them and I'll soon replace my Duratracs with another set of the same. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So my tire dealer is suggesting I go with 265/70R17's which he claims are not really much different in size. He also says they are more plentifully available at a better price. Any experience with this size on stock rims once holding 255/75R17's?

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
That is a stock size that a fair number of Jeeps come with. Our Back Country had that size on the Rubicon style rims. They were KO2's in that size and the worked really well. Slightly smaller in diameter but slightly wider as well.

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
So my tire dealer is suggesting I go with 265/70R17's which he claims are not really much different in size. He also says they are more plentifully available at a better price. Any experience with this size on stock rims once holding 255/75R17's?

I have the Dick Cepek fun country in that size on my stock rims, with no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
I have the Dick Cepek fun country in that size on my stock rims, with no issues.
As I mentioned earlier, I have this same Cepek tire in a 315 and I assure you they are absolutely the worst tire I've ever tried to run on wet roads and even worse in snow. Absolutely dangerous.

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I have this same Cepek tire in a 315 and I assure you they are absolutely the worst tire I've ever tried to run on wet roads and even worse in snow. Absolutely dangerous.

Unfortunately that’s your experience with the Cepek tire.
Being essential personal, and believe it or not. I had and have zero issues in rain or snow. Those tires got me to work in many snowstorms safely.
I wish I could say the same about the stock SR-A’s in respects to traction.
I was trying more to help in reference to what the op was asking about the size difference.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Mudtires do not have the snipes (lil grooves) in the tread block. You would not think that those lil slits would mean so much for wet traction. I had KM as part of the Willys package. After the first snowfall then melt and then the wet roads, they went bye-bye for the 285/70 Duratracs. It was like night and day for wet traction.

Every oil change I took them to the tire dealer and got the free rotations and they always had to use quite a bit of weights to balance them every time. When I went with 35s I switched to KO2s.

It not the ratio(80) that you should really be worried about. 75vs.80 is 1inch, which turns out only .5" between the tire top and fenders. Only when you go wider is when you may have rubbing issues. I had slight suspension rubbing when I went with 285s.

If your speedometer reads 65 mph, you are going about 67 mph, this should not be enough to worry about reprogramming for tire size.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! This is awesome information coming from the collective of the forum!

I have one additional question. My original OEM tire size designation was LT255/75R17, and my tire dealer is suggestion a P265/70R17. What is the difference between the LT (light truck?) and P (passenger?) ratings, and does it matter in my application? If not, why the heck did Mopar put LT tires on as original equipment when they undoubtably cost more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks! This is awesome information coming from the collective of the forum!

I have one additional question. My original OEM tire size designation was LT255/75R17, and my tire dealer is suggestion a P265/70R17. What is the difference between the LT (light truck?) and P (passenger?) ratings, and does it matter in my application? If not, why the heck did Mopar put LT tires on as original equipment when they undoubtably cost more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LT has a stronger sidewall. They are meant for work trucks. For Jeeps it gives added protection when playing out on the rocks. I went with P rated Duratracs because I deal with snow, mud and dirt here in PA. In your case, out in Indiana, you would probably be fine with P rated. Now if you can see yourself wanting to tackle rock gardens or take trips out west, you probably would want to look into LT.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts