Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 JKU soft top with half doors. We've had some rain the past few days and I noticed both front seatbelts are wet, driver side is worse. Is there an easy fix for this? I don't want to end up with rusted components or mildew. I know I can take it to the dealer but I would like to avoid that, I usually have to fix something they messed up while "fixing" what I brought it in for.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
First - think about when you opened your doors, did an water (other than a few drops) get in?

Second - look at the upper doors, they should contact the door surround before the door actually closes. The upper frames can be "bent" a little so they make good contact with the surround. This will also reduce the wind noise on the highway. It has been a while since I had half doors ('91 YJ from '91 to '93) but I remember there was a definite "lean in" of the uppers when they fit right.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
My 2008 does the same thing. The freedom tops will leak if not put in perfectly. May want to check install and look at the condition of the seals.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have also run into this from time to time, happened on my 2013 JKU and my current 2016 JKU - It seems to be the fitment of the soft top (and as ATX14 stated, if the Freedom tops are not seated perfectly a good downpour will "make my seat belt wet" - It's for sure a leak right at that point. In the summer I use the Sunrider top option a lot after work or in the afternoons when it's just a hassle to take the whole thing down. I have noticed that from time to time I need to take the top all the way down and put it back up if I notice leaks. I think the wind and such shifts things around a little and from time to time need re-seating. Same with the Freedom tops, they just need to be lifted up and re-seated if I have been taking them off.

The leaks are common in Jeeps as we all know, they have gotten much better in the JK's (especially since 2007) I gave up trying to figure that one out.

Good luck. Hey, at least it only leaks when it rains

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Guys - OP has a SOFT TOP with HALF DOORS. No Freedom Top panels to leak. The leak is between the soft upper door half and the door rails (on a full door they would be the different shaped door surrounds).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts