Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just looking for ideas on how to keep distributor cap dry so far have struck out i have 95 yj 2.5L wondering if there are special caps or boots or silcone???????
thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Try this. Get a tube of clear silicone (Home Depot or Lowes or Ace) and a caulking gun. Squirt a little silicone into the spark plug boots and the distributor cap wire towers. (A good time to do this is when you change the cap & wires). Then remove the cap and make sure the surface between the distributor surface and the lip on the cap is clean. Put a small bead of silicone around the lip on the cap and reassemble. It will be a little difficult to disassemble but should keep you running. Another thing to try is to approach and enter water slowly. That will help to avoid the splash that has stalled so many Jeeps. They are not submarines. Good Luck L.M.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I used to do a lot of water crossings and found dielectric grease to do best. The silicone around the dist cap works okay for a bit, but because of the strong suction from inside it pulled the dryed silicone inside the housing, i was picking out pieces of silicone for awhile. I was considering a tight rubber glove over the cap with the wires going out the fingers and taped tight.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I used to do a lot of water crossings and found dielectric grease to do best. The silicone around the dist cap works okay for a bit, but because of the strong suction from inside it pulled the dryed silicone inside the housing, i was picking out pieces of silicone for awhile. I was considering a tight rubber glove over the cap with the wires going out the fingers and taped tight.
The glove should work if you have a 4 cyl. it might be hard to find a 7 finger glove if you have a 6 cyl.

·
Registered
207 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts