Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
I have the bumper and the tabs came bent inwards and need to be bent out for proper fitment. In the article you said you bent them, may i ask how? I'm having trouble and don't want to scratch or mess anything up.

Vendor
Has anyone installed the Barricade Trail Force HD Front Bumper with the LED lights built in the bumper. If so did you splice the wires? I noticed the LED wiring harness wires on the Barricade bumper are thicker than the 2016 stock fog light wires on my jeep. Appreciate your responses on how you connected the wires for the Barricade .
I know the response is a little late, but better to show up to the party late than never!

I've seen a couple of ways that you can wire in the LED lights on the Barricade Trail Force Bumper. I know that some people have spliced them right into their factory fog light harness with no adverse consequences.

You can also purchase an aftermarket wiring harness so that the bumper lights can be turned on using an auxiliary switch. 2007-2017 Wrangler Off-Road Lighting | ExtremeTerrain - Free Shipping

-Jake

Vendor
I have the bumper and the tabs came bent inwards and need to be bent out for proper fitment. In the article you said you bent them, may i ask how? I'm having trouble and don't want to scratch or mess anything up.
In order to bend the tabs back out without damaging them, I would suggest using a pair of pliers or vice grips. Place a rag around the tab, and bend them back out using constant pressure. Applying constant pressure insures that you'll have a well shaped bend, and won't damage the metal.

If you have any more questions just let me know!

-Jake

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In order to bend the tabs back out without damaging them, I would suggest using a pair of pliers or vice grips. Place a rag around the tab, and bend them back out using constant pressure. Applying constant pressure insures that you'll have a well shaped bend, and won't damage the metal.

If you have any more questions just let me know!

-Jake
the answer jake provided is how we did it.

Registered
I had such a hard time trying to figure out who made my bumper. Now I know. PO had installed it. It's built well but, here are a few things that I had to address.

1. The wields on the internal structures where enough but, they were not continuous. Like this _ _ _.

2. The paint is...well...a bit weak. I have no clue when it was installed but the paint was bubbling up, and on the inside coming off in sheets.

3. The upper bolts need a T55 key to get them off. A ratchet will not fit in there. Also anti-seize is a must when putting the bolts in. It took 3 days for PB to loosen the bolts....and some heat.

If I had access to sand blaster I would have been able to clean the metal and wielded it fully on the inside. I was not able to do it cause of all the surface rust. I cleaned what I could and put some POR-15 on it, prime, and repaint with spray-on bed liner. The easiest way to get the coating was to use a touch to heat it up, then use a scrapper.

This reads like I don't like them...actually the bumpers have held up very well, and have saved my jeep from getting totaled just 4 months after buying it. I live in the northeast, on the coast, and rust is a thing that we constantly fight. So if you have any rust issues take care of them fast.

Registered
I've had the front and rear with tire carrier on my '15 JK for about 2 years now. The only downside so far is that the finish has been absolutely horrible on them. I live in Michigan, which is a challenge for any metal, but these rusted almost out of the gate.

This spring i stripped them to bare metal and did the full POR-15 process to recoat them. If that holds up then i'm 100% happy, but the speed at which they rusted was annoying to say the least.

That said, i love everything else about them. They're durable and look about the best on the market, in my opinion, particularly for the price. I even welded a hi-lift jack mount on the rear with a friend's help, and cut some LED lights into the rear as well.

I love extreme terrain, and will keep coming back!

Registered
Ditto what Topless Excursions said, RUSTING!
I'll have to do the same, grind/sand everything and repaint.
5Stars otherwise.

Attachments

Registered
taking all the paint off was quite the chore. I mostly used flap disks on my angle grinder, and chemical paint stripper for the hard-to-get spots.

I used all of the POR-15 paint prep products before their rust-proofing paint, top coat, then finally rustoleum bedliner spray (for appearance only). It's only been about a month so we'll see how well it holds up. My fingers are crossed as hard as possible because I do not want to do that again.

Registered
I've also had the LED version of this bumper for about 2 years and the rusting started like crazy over this last winter. I was looking at a buying a new bumper but if stripping and repainting works then I'll likely go that route and save myself couple hundred bucks. Also one of the LED fog lights began to flicker and then die completely 1 year after I bought it but after one short message to extreme terrain asking if I could buy a replacement they kindly offered to send out a new one for free. So overall I'm very pleased with the price, customer service and look of the bumper but disappointed with the rust issue but sounds like I should be able to remedy that myself.

Registered
After one winter in Western NY, I had to take it off and do the same. Lots of elbow grease and three cans of Rustoleum bed liner. I added the skid and a winch so I had to take it off anyway. We will see how it holds up this winter. If that doesn't work, I am going to either powdercoat it or have it professionally bedlined. Love the bumper besides the finish.

Registered
We don't even have winter down here, and don't do the beach with it either. Just swamping seems to show how weak the powder coat and primer must be.

I used some etching primer and some plasti-dip and did some touchup to hide the bad spots on the rear, which I've had longer than the front.
I want to see how fast the old rust bleeds through.

Real happy I didn't get the tire carrier version!:worthy:

Registered
I've got the JK version and it's my favorite option for the money. I'm in SoCal so I don't have issues with the finish as it's pretty dry here.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts