Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

What 2 meter Rig are you sporting in your Jeep?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  CtSeaRay 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just took out a Icom 7000 with the remote head unit and went with VGC VR-N7500 a hoping to use the Seicane android as the head unit but I'm thinking I made a big mistake. I wanted to be able to leave the top and doors off and not have to worry about the radio base that is mounted under the passenger seat.

So what is your recommendation? Thanks in advance

#2 ·
IF you have any possibility of getting caught with the roof off in the rain, don't mount the main unit under the seat! Unless you keep the drain plugs pulled and the carpet out.

I speak from experience and a ruined Kenwood TMV-71A.

I now have it mounted under the passengers dash with the control head mounted on the roll cage.

Reactions: CtSeaRay
#3 ·
Thanks !! I didn't think of that.

I have it elevated on the hump going into the back seat and I took out the back seat and don't use that back area ever. The plugs are out for sure.

#6 ·
Yaesu FT-7900R mounted in the driver's kick panel area, with the face attached to the windshield frame above the driver's sun visor.

Reactions: CtSeaRay
#7 ·
Behind the Glovebox if you ask me is the best place.
Totally hidden but still somewhat easy to get to, not waterproof but does stay dry unless you are forging.
I've even seen a few that hacked up the barely usable glovebox and stacked their radios in it.
Open it up and they are all right there to adjust/play with.

#8 ·
WOW ok, Nice set ups.

Here is my last set up on a Design 67 mount and a Vector Offroad bar.

Attachments

#9 ·
I'm keeping my IC-7000 I use it for HF as well as 2m/70cm. I was thinking of upgrading to the IC-7100. but don't like its form factor.

I made a home brew cupholder mount for the remote head. That puts the radio controls directly under my right hand when my arm is resting on the arm rest. The radio is under the passenger seat.

I connect the video out from the Icom to my 430 (using a PAC adapter). That way I don't have to take my eyes too far off the road to look down at the radio. With the PAC adapter all I have to do to turn on the radio display is press and hold the center of the left hand button on the back of the steering wheel. Press/hold again and the radio display returns...

#11 ·
Nice Job J! I wish the 7100's form followed the 7000 I would have been in!

I'm keeping my IC-7000 I use it for HF as well as 2m/70cm. I was thinking of upgrading to the IC-7100. but don't like its form factor.

I made a home brew cupholder mount for the remote head. That puts the radio controls directly under my right hand when my arm is resting on the arm rest. The radio is under the passenger seat.

I connect the video out from the Icom to my 430 (using a PAC adapter). That way I don't have to take my eyes too far off the road to look down at the radio. With the PAC adapter all I have to do to turn on the radio display is press and hold the center of the right hand button on the back of the steering wheel. Press/hold again and the radio display returns...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.