Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been several times I've browsed through here trying to find how my TJ would look with lift X and tires Y. And since the 1.25" BL and 31" duratracs are pretty common, i figured i'd post up my gains:

Before:

After:

Sorry for the side pictures being different angles. I just snapped them quick before i cleaned up. You should generally get the idea though.

A few tips to what effect how proportionate things look:

-Flare & fender overhang gives the illusion of less lift. I found this out when my 2000 Sahara had the stock 1" wider flares. When i chopped them into flatties it made it seem like i had a lot more clearance. Even moreso when i went to flat tube fenders up front.

-As you can tell from the pictures, running boards kill your clearance and make your jeep appear lower to the ground. To play the devil's advocate, they do protect your body a bit if you don't have rocker guards.

-"Proportionate" is subject to taste. I personally think i could add a 2" SL to this setup and my 31s wouldn't look too undersized. A lot would say that's too much lift for them though. Best to do your research before you pull the trigger on a setup and have to change it later because it looks goofy. That's why i'm posting up these pictures; for reference! Hope i could help someone!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Similar to the setup I will be doing next week. Purchased a 98 Sahara with 3" BL. Trying to decide if I should drop back down to stock or put 1" BL. Will have 31" Falken WildPeak A/T's.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pics. Similar to the setup I will be doing next week. Purchased a 98 Sahara with 3" BL. Trying to decide if I should drop back down to stock or put 1" BL. Will have 31" Falken WildPeak A/T's.
You're definitely taking the right steps by taking off the 3" body lift. Honestly I prefer the look of the 1.25" body lift over stock. And it actually makes working on it a little easier as you can get tools/your hands in between the frame rails and body. It helped me out extremely when I was installing a GM gas filler neck to fix my gas overflow issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're definitely taking the right steps by taking off the 3" body lift. Honestly I prefer the look of the 1.25" body lift over stock. And it actually makes working on it a little easier as you can get tools/your hands in between the frame rails and body. It helped me out extremely when I was installing a GM gas filler neck to fix my gas overflow issue.
I am likely going to go the 1.25" route. I Can see where it will make it easier to work underneath as well

·
Registered
16 Posts
do BL's generally level the jeep as well? Or would I need addition spacers before I do my own BL in order to level the jeep? I'd like to put 31's under a 2" BL with my front tube fenders... which will expose more, and end up looking like a bigger lift.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do BL's generally level the jeep as well? Or would I need addition spacers before I do my own BL in order to level the jeep? I'd like to put 31's under a 2" BL with my front tube fenders... which will expose more, and end up looking like a bigger lift.
Your suspension needing leveling results from sag due to old coil springs needing replaced or extra weight in mods.

Body lifts are simply spacers that sit between where your body is bolted to the frame. Two solid piece that don't flex against each other. Thus it's not a good idea to use them to level, as nothing will bolt up properly if you only have some of the spacers installed.
With that being said, body lift results are pretty much 100% as advertised. If you buy a 1" body lift and install it, your body is going to be lifted exactly 1" off the frame. So, you can choose to level your suspension before or. The results will be the same.

You can pick up spacers for your coil springs in small measurements(1/2", 3/4" etc) to level out your rig. Though it's not a good idea to use these in conjunction with a coil spring spacer lift, if you already have one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your suspension needing leveling results from sag due to old coil springs needing replaced or extra weight in mods. Body lifts are simply spacers that sit between where your body is bolted to the frame. Two solid piece that don't flex against each other. Thus it's not a good idea to use them to level, as nothing will bolt up properly if you only have some of the spacers installed. With that being said, body lift results are pretty much 100% as advertised. If you buy a 1" body lift and install it, your body is going to be lifted exactly 1" off the frame. So, you can choose to level your suspension before or. The results will be the same. You can pick up spacers for your coil springs in small measurements(1/2", 3/4" etc) to level out your rig. Though it's not a good idea to use these in conjunction with a coil spring spacer lift, if you already have one.
Ok yea that makes more sense. Appreciate the clarity on that! I could use an all around suspension upgrade anyways. Everything is all stock still and like you said, "sagging" as a result. And with coil lift it will restore the leveling I'm looking for. Any cheap 2" coil lifts you would recommend ? (I would be installing all of this come spring)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok yea that makes more sense. Appreciate the clarity on that! I could use an all around suspension upgrade anyways. Everything is all stock still and like you said, "sagging" as a result. And with coil lift it will restore the leveling I'm looking for. Any cheap 2" coil lifts you would recommend ? (I would be installing all of this come spring)
The BDS 2" coil springs are a pretty solidly reviewed spring at a good price. They're one of the cheapest springs that people state "still maintain stock ride quality" instead of making it rougher like springs from brands like Rough Country, teraflex, etc.
They tend to run about 100 - 110 for a set of front or rear. So, you'd be looking at around 200 - 220 plus shipping for a complete set. They're the springs i'll probably be going with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts