Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a 95 TJ, six 4 spd. 31" tires 1" lift.
The seller is not sure if its a 4 speed trany or a 5spd. He could not let me drive it until he gets permission to sell it from his x wife. Not sure how he got a 1" lift, but the tires are 31"s.
The milage is 78000, the jeep has not been driven for 2 years because of a devorce settelment. It has a new soft top(2yrs), the paint is good. How much should I offer on this rig without driving it??:confused:

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Nothing without driving it unless you're mechanic and know what it'll take to get running.
If it runs then I'd say anywhere from $2000 up depending on how good a shape it's in.

BTW, it should be a 5 speed.

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
6,805 Posts
I know the T and Y are really close together but just in case.... it would be a YJ if a 95 model year. And honestly I believe if it runs and drives it will be in the 6-8k range. It is crazy what good condition YJs will bring. Nada says high retail is over 8500 :eek:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I'd pass on it. It sounds shady to me. There are plenty of YJs lookin' for a home out there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
X wife has to give permision

Nothing without driving it unless you're mechanic and know what it'll take to get running.
If it runs then I'd say anywhere from $2000 up depending on how good a shape it's in.

BTW, it should be a 5 speed.
As soon as I can drive it I should know if its going to be as good as I think it is, from just looking at it.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I don't see where the bargain is? The thing has been sittin' for two years and this guy doesn't even own it outright?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I know the T and Y are really close together but just in case.... it would be a YJ if a 95 model year. And honestly I believe if it runs and drives it will be in the 6-8k range. It is crazy what good condition YJs will bring. Nada says high retail is over 8500 :eek:
WHAT?!?!?! That is craziness. I wouldn't spend more than 3-4k tops, no matter what the bb says.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
A 95 with only 78000, but what if its true.
Keep in mind that even with 78K miles, the engine could blow once you start driving it. It sat for a while, weird stuff happens when things sit. Also, It does sound pretty shady. BUT if he has a title in HIS name and can sell it, then it's all good. If it's in both their names, they will BOTH need to sign off on it. Look around a bit. There are tons of Jeeps out there. This situation has the ability to go very wrong.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
WHAT?!?!?! That is craziness. I wouldn't spend more than 3-4k tops, no matter what the bb says.
Location of the jeep has a huge influence on the value. However, the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies. If that's all you would pay, you would probably have a rusted out hulk to work with.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I got my 94' with 45k on it (yes, its 45k, acurate millage) with no rust and an 3.5 ome lift, 33x12.5 procomp MT's, 15" eagle alloy wheels, bushwacher fenders, push bar, custom rear bumper, Shrock works rock sliders (new in box, never installed) hardtop, softop, bikini top, hard doors, full soft doors, bar doors, car cover......etc

All for the wonderful price of $4,000.... He even got the oil changed and serviced it for me (I saw the bill for $350) right before he sold it to me....

Just wait for the right one to come around.... It will find you...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Location of the jeep has a huge influence on the value. However, the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies. If that's all you would pay, you would probably have a rusted out hulk to work with.
What if I like rusted out hulks? :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What a BUY???

Ok guys I have to thank you for your thoughts.

The Jeep is in both the X wife's name and the man who wants to sell it.

It has been in storage for 2 yrs. She wanted to keep it for her brother who doesnt live here anymore.

Its not rusted out. I looked under. There was no battery, so we could not start it. When we shook it there was no sloshing sound from the gas tank.

Anyway if I buy it I can sell my 91 for 2500. The guy wan'ts to make a crawler out of it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Did you still not find out a price?? I would say to take a battery with you and make sure you know it runs. As for the being in both names I would not pay a dime until it was transfered or at least the title was signed by both of them and notarized. I wouldn't buy anything that I had not seen run unless I was buying it as a non running vehicle. I would at least drive it around the block. Just my 2 cents but I think you need to hear it run and drive it to make sure everything is ok.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts