Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I am looking for the people who have real world experience in changing out their axles. I have the 30/44 3.21 and am looking for the best fit.

I just want to know what you have, why you bought it, where you bought it and price if you wish to say along with how its working for you? Include any and all commentary.

I see all the ads in Q-Tech, Northridge, 4WD for the standard Dana, G2, Dynatrac as well as the J8 stuff.

Looking for fact and experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I went with Mopar crate axles.
4.10's, elockers, rear axle complete with brakes, front you use your brakes.
I paid just shy of 4k for the pair.

Reactions: Captain Ed

·
Registered
632 Posts
Im awaiting my Dynatrac Hardcore axle set ( PR60/60) to be delivered end of August . Initially I placed the order for the PR44/60 axle set but was planning on buying 37's and beadlocks anyway so the more I thought about it the more I thought about it lol... I decided for another $1900 to just go big and not look back . Was not an over night decision. By changing the order it set me back another 3 weeks. Dynatracs currently 8 to 10 weeks out on delivery.

Ive been preparing for the last month, getting new rear brake lines , new lug nuts, installing a switchpro, I bought an ARB dual compressor and will be selling the single compressor that comes with the axles. Getting Harbor Freight dollies etc.

But when Im finished I'll have a PR60 with a full float 60 rear on 37" Nitto with 8 x 6.5 KMC Machete Beadlocks and also F/R Adams 1350 DS. I went ahead and installed the KING 2.5's last week and so far loving these shocks.
Price with me searching for best deals on everything ~20K

Basically everything from the Body down has been replaced.

Pics to come :)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Soggoth I have been following your thread. I appreciate the response. I kick this option back and forth, problem is finding those takeoffs here for a good price if at all. I may somehow end up here so I appreciate your thread. Take care.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm just about finished up installing Rubicon Dana 44s front and rear. Picked them up used with 4,000 miles for $3,500 with factory e-lockers, 5.13 gears, C gussets, Tom Woods driveshaft, brakes, tie bar/drag link, Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer, etc. By the time I factor in upgraded diff covers and gear oil, e-locker wiring, and other odds and ends, I'll have around $4,000 total in the swap. I have my D30/44 listed for $1200, so selling those should put me around $3,000 net. I would have had significantly more than that just upgrading the D30/D44 with gears, lockers, and gussets.

I'm doing the swap all by myself in my garage with floor jack, jack stands, and basic hand tools. I have a mechanical background, but mainly in boats, not auto. I've never done anything like this before, but the swap has been very easy. It's truly a direct replacement. The only issue I've run into has been that my AEV front sway bar extension brackets won't work with the
C gussets, so I ordered JKS sway bar quick disconnects and eliminated the brackets. I wanted some disconnects anyway, so not a big deal.

Bottom line is if you can find a good deal on a pair of Rubicon axles and can do the work yourself, it's a straightforward and cost effective upgrade option.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Esq, you got an awesome deal on that set up and if I could find that deal I would be on it immediately. We bought this Jeep not knowing I was going to get bitten hard by the bug. 3.21's and D30/44 are great for stock clothes but I love to wheel and its time to upgrade. My eyes are still looking for the Rubi option. I have a good mechanical background and have friends with even more ( and a lift if needed) so install is easy. Take care.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I had Dynatrac Pro Rock 60s on my 2014 JK, and wasn't all that happy with them. Dynatrac said back time was 2 months, it ended up being 4 months.
I told them the Jeep had a 3" lift, and they sent a both axles with the track bar brackets positioned for stock suspension, so the track bar mounts needed redone because of terrible bump steer and torque steer. The front axle has different steering knuckles and caster, which seemed to affect handling, and I never really liked the way the Jeep drove once the new axles were on. It didn't want to turn in well at the start of a turn, then wound oversteer once in the turn. It took some getting used to, and wasn't a deal breaker in and of itself, but I liked the stock handling better. I also had recurrent problems with ABS sensors not working right, and putting the Jeep in limp mode. ABS sensors failed three times during the time I owned the Jeep. I finally got it sorted out (I think), but by then I was so disgusted with the Jeep that when someone offered to buy it, I took them up on it.

Make sure your installer knows what they're doing, and doesn't do half assed work. That was most of my problem.

My current Jeep is a Recon, with the J8 military spec front axle. I love it, and no axle worries. Too bad we all couldn't have bought the right Jeep to begin with. And too bad Jeep didn't start out with the better front axle when they released the JK back in 2008.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mopwr2u I am also looking into the J8. I am not in the rock crawling belt in Wisconsin but I want something tough and reliable. Not looking for tons or 40's ever so I appreciate your input greatly. Where did you get the J8?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I chose the Teraflex 44 to replace my stock 44. I think I paid about $4k for it and sold my stock 44 for $1500. The additional strength is great but I was chasing front drivline vibes with a three inch lift. The corrected caster angle on the new axle made driveline angles perfect again. The 4.88 gears were a VAST improvement too.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ultimate dana 60 with 5.38 and E locker. Pricey at $11,000 but mandatory for my build.
You sir are not messing around. Very nice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts