Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching this for a few days and read through a few posts in the Electronics forum...but didn't really see what I was looking for.

I had to chase off a transient last week as was looking in my windows and checking my door locks, he even checked to see if the hood was warm...I don't think he will be coming back.

But was alarm systems do you recommend for our TJ's? I have thought about even just wiring up a flashing LED on a switch, as a simple deterrent.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
2 German Shepherds, and the loose firearm laws of NH... And suppressors, can't call in what isn't heard.

But in all seriousness, I don't use anything... My Jeep is unlocked if it has doors on it. No hard top, I'd rather someone steal my $60 radio of they're so inclined rather than cut my soft top windows... That being said, I rarely have a top or doors on.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I had what I think was a viper alarm that the PO installed. It gave me a ton of electrical issues. If something as simple as a headlight went out, the alarm kicked in and wouldnt allow me to start the engine. A relay went bad and left me on the side of the road last year too. Maybe it was all bad wiring...

I'd say install a set of motion detection lights in front of your house.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 German Shepherds, and the loose firearm laws of NH... And suppressors, can't call in what isn't heard.

But in all seriousness, I don't use anything... My Jeep is unlocked if it has doors on it. No hard top, I'd rather someone steal my $60 radio of they're so inclined rather than cut my soft top windows... That being said, I rarely have a top or doors on.
That is true for me as well....the problem is that at work, I watch my TJ through my 9th floor office window, and twice now I watched people mess with my jeep. The first time a dude took a $30 jacket. It wasn't so much the cost of the jacket, it was witnessing him take it that was frustrating... and it sure maxes out your adrenaline. :speechless-smiley:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have a Viper alarm with a proximity sensor. Never lock my doors, but I do arm the alarm. If you get close enough to look into the Jeep it will chirp at you. If you reach in or open a door, it will go off and sound the alarm. Even with the alarm blaring, I'm not sure that would really stop someone from stealing stuff that's inside, which is why I don't leave much of anything in the Jeep. I do have an insta-trunk in the rear where I keep my trail tools and a few odds and ends.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
That is true for me as well....the problem is that at work, I watch my TJ through my 9th floor office window, and twice now I watched people mess with my jeep. The first time a dude took a $30 jacket. It wasn't so much the cost of the jacket, it was witnessing him take it that was frustrating... and it sure maxes out your adrenaline. :speechless-smiley:

Fair enough... I'd be pissed for sure.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Electric fence charger and a ground strap
Haha, I actually read a write up about someone who did this. They also hooked up a train horn to go off at the same time the person got shocked.

I'd probably do this, but aren't booby traps illegal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts