Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm soon to be getting a 2021 JL Sport S 2-Door and wanted to fit on 35's asap. This is a daily driver, but will see some light offroad a few times a year. Nothing crazy, though. Stock could handle it fine, but I love the look of 35's. I'm not a huge fan of the stock Sport S rims either, so I would probably get a new set of 5, but they would probably stay the same size, maybe 17" x 9" or something very similar. With 35's, I was assuming a lift kit is probably going to be needed, which is fine because it would make the JL look better anyways. I think 2.5" would be a good size, enough to really notice it while at the same time not so big that I would have to change out a lot of parts. I've seen some kits around (like ExtremeTerrain.com) that are as low as $200 and just suspension kits ( Rough Country Jeep Wrangler 2.50-Inch Suspension Lift Kit 67700 (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL) ) while at the same time some are upwards of $900 that include new shocks ( Teraflex Jeep Wrangler 2.50-Inch Coil Spring Base Suspension Lift Kit with 9550 VSS Shocks 1354252 (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door) ).

So my question is: What all is needed for a 2.5" lift kit on a 2021 JL Sport S 2-Door and what are some recommendations for good kits?

Do I need new shocks to accommodate the extra 2.5"? Arms? brake lines? steering geometry? drive shaft length? 2.5" is not huge, but safety is obviously the top priority and I want to do this the right way. Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator
103,639 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Hello all,

I'm soon to be getting a 2021 JL Sport S 2-Door and wanted to fit on 35's asap. This is a daily driver, but will see some light offroad a few times a year. Nothing crazy, though. Stock could handle it fine, but I love the look of 35's. I'm not a huge fan of the stock Sport S rims either, so I would probably get a new set of 5, but they would probably stay the same size, maybe 17" x 9" or something very similar. With 35's, I was assuming a lift kit is probably going to be needed, which is fine because it would make the JL look better anyways. I think 2.5" would be a good size, enough to really notice it while at the same time not so big that I would have to change out a lot of parts. I've seen some kits around (like ExtremeTerrain.com) that are as low as $200 and just suspension kits ( Rough Country Jeep Wrangler 2.50-Inch Suspension Lift Kit 67700 (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL) ) while at the same time some are upwards of $900 that include new shocks ( Teraflex Jeep Wrangler 2.50-Inch Coil Spring Base Suspension Lift Kit with 9550 VSS Shocks 1354252 (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door) ).

So my question is: What all is needed for a 2.5" lift kit on a 2021 JL Sport S 2-Door and what are some recommendations for good kits?

Do I need new shocks to accommodate the extra 2.5"? Arms? brake lines? steering geometry? drive shaft length? 2.5" is not huge, but safety is obviously the top priority and I want to do this the right way. Thanks!
For 2.5” lift the minimum is, Shocks or shock extensions, springs or spring spacers, bumpstop extensions and brake line drop brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For 2.5” lift the minimum is, Shocks or shock extensions, springs or spring spacers, bumpstop extensions and brake line drop brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect. Thanks for laying that out for me! I've been looking around and think I found a few good options.

1. Teraflex 2.5" kit with coil springs and new shocks $820 ( Teraflex Jeep Wrangler 2.50-Inch Coil Spring Base Suspension Lift Kit with 9550 VSS Shocks 1354252 (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door) )

2. Mopar 2" kit with coil springs, longer arms, and Fox shocks $1315 ( 2019-2021 Jeep Wrangler Lift Kit, 2" With Fox Shocks 77072396AE | MOPAR Parts Co. ) This one is nice because it's Mopar so the dealership might be able to help me out right off the truck and it shouldn't break warranty.

3. Clayton Off Road 2.5" Ride Right+ Lift Kit with coils and longer arms $1579 ( Jeep Wrangler 2.5" Ride Right+ Lift Kit, 2DR 2018+, JL ) This one was recommended by another Jeeper, but it doesn't include new shocks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
1 vote for the Mopar. Had it on my '18 JLUR, and I just installed it on my '20 JTR. Decent lift for daily driver, and mild-medium off roading. Won't break the bank, and shouldn't void your warranty since it's Mopar. I would recommend upgrading the steering stabilizer to a Fox unit if you're going with larger tires. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 vote for the Mopar. Had it on my '18 JLUR, and I just installed it on my '20 JTR. Decent lift for daily driver, and mild-medium off roading. Won't break the bank, and shouldn't void your warranty since it's Mopar. I would recommend upgrading the steering stabilizer to a Fox unit if you're going with larger tires. Good luck!
@cyoung9799 Thanks for the response! Did you do anything extra with the Mopar kit? Or was everything needed included in the kit?

·
Registered
529 Posts
On my JLUR, the only extra I added was the Fox steering stabilizer. I just traded it in on my JTR a couple of months ago. I've done the same lift and stabilizer on the Gladiator, but this time I plan on at least adding adjustable track bars. I'm running 37 inch tires, so I also plan on adding heavy duty ball joints to be proactive. I've been following a couple of guys on here who have some interesting builds going on. I may add a few more tweaks down the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my JLUR, the only extra I added was the Fox steering stabilizer. I just traded it in on my JTR a couple of months ago. I've done the same lift and stabilizer on the Gladiator, but this time I plan on at least adding adjustable track bars. I'm running 37 inch tires, so I also plan on adding heavy duty ball joints to be proactive. I've been following a couple of guys on here who have some interesting builds going on. I may add a few more tweaks down the road.
@cyoung9799 I gotcha, I gotcha. How did it handle? Do you ever have any issues driving with just the kit and stabilizer? I'm running this on a 2-Door and probably won't go past 35's haha!

·
Registered
529 Posts
@cyoung9799 I gotcha, I gotcha. How did it handle? Do you ever have any issues driving with just the kit and stabilizer? I'm running this on a 2-Door and probably won't go past 35's haha!
Handles very well on and off road. The lift and the stabilizer were really all I needed. That should be a great set up for what you're describing for your Jeep.. The other upgrades I mentioned are really more for the fact that I'm on 37's. You can always tweak your set up with additional parts here/there too if you find you need to get it dialed in where you want it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Handles very well on and off road. The lift and the stabilizer were really all I needed. That should be a great set up for what you're describing for your Jeep.. The other upgrades I mentioned are really more for the fact that I'm on 37's. You can always tweak your set up with additional parts here/there too if you find you need to get it dialed in where you want it.
@cyoung9799 Very much appreciated! Thanks for your input. It's great to hear from a first-end user of the product! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts