Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to run my build list by the experts here and see what I may be missing that I am going to need.

I have a 2012 JKU Altitude, Manual Trans.

I live in a city so most of the driving is DD and snowy roads in the mountains when I go snowboarding.

Here is the plan:

- Teraflex 2.5" Budget Boost w shock adapters
- 20" XD Wheels with 35" Toyo Open Country AT's
- Barricade Trail Force HD Front and Rear Bumper, with tire carrier
- Brake light extension

I am aware that not everyone is a fan of 20's, but they work for me.
I am also aware that the budget boost is a lower end option, but it should work for my use.

I just realized today that I would need a new tire carrier and the brake light extension, so I am wondering what else I am not thinking of.
I have a lift at work and some buddies and I will be handling the install, so I want to make sure I have it all thought out prior to getting into it.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumping this because the thread had to get approved by a mod due to a login issue, and I think it was buried in the forum list by the time it made it live onto the board.

Thanks anyone who can give me advice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. Thanks for the input. I am probably going to pull the trigger and buy everything on Friday (come on sweet black friday deals!!!)

·
Registered
669 Posts
just be sure to pre read the instructions..
you may need a special tool or drill bit..

I needed a 7/8 drill bit for mine.. and on a sunday kinda tough to find..

·
Registered
658 Posts
brake line drop brackets are desired for 2.5" if they dont come with the lift

·
Registered
669 Posts
brake line drop brackets are desired for 2.5" if they dont come with the lift
yes or longer brake lines... at the least

if you are lacking the drop brackets I have a pair that was on my 3.5 AEV lift and you can have them for the cost of shipping

·
Super Moderator
14,528 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Looks like the Teraflex kit I am going with comes with brackets for the rear break lines.

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
Since you're going to be spending quite a bit of money on wheels and tires, and adding a lot of weight (incl. unsprung weight), you may want to consider getting a "real" lift kit. Nothing fancy needed since you won't offroad, mostly springs and shocks and some brackets, but something like the Teraflex 2.5 in. Lift Kit w/ Shocks for $750 will give you much better road manners with those big wheels.

Regardless of your lift kit, you're also going to need to reprogram the Jeep computer for the larger diameter tires with something like an AEV ProCal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rough Country 2.5inch full coil and shock

My man, for $70 more you can have a full lift and not hockey pucks. Granted it is rough country and I know a lot of people talk bad about them, but I've had this exact lift on my 2011 sahara for almost a year now and not a single problem. I've taken it through Rausch and a couple of good rocks to test the flex and it's damn decent for the cheap price. Plus they give a lifetime warranty for all their stuff. I put the lift on by myself in my driveway with just jack stands in 8 hours.

The only thing I have noticed is that it is definitely an off-road suspension so it's bumpy as hell on the road and you feel every pot hole but you get used to it. I still have stock bumpers but it hasn't settled down and lost any height.

I also got new stock sway bar links for the rear and moved my current ones to the front, the rear track bar relocation bracket, and I needed wheel spacers because before i dropped the rear axle I could see the tire would have hit the sway bar link but that's not always the case for every JK, especially since yours is the newer model.

Just my 2 cents, but the choice is yours ultimately.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great feedback. I think I have my game plan figured out now. Should have this all in by Christmas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts