Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am curious to find out what people are using to replace factory brakes? I have not added much weight to my 2 door jk my rear brakes and rotors are about wore out at 43k.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm running Powerstop Z36 all the way around. Improvement over stock, IMO, but not the same as a big brake kit. If you can afford to do it, I would reccomend big brake kit. This will leave you room for bigger tires, added weight, etc down the road.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
rear brakes do go out faster than the fronts on JK's.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Yup. Got the 09 at 56k. Replaced my fronts at 95k. Rears around 115k. At 178k and going on my third set of pads since.

·
Super Moderator
15,450 Posts
I've got the Teraflex big rotor kit. Very happy with it, larger rotor and new caliper bracket. Running a nice Centric semi metallic pad.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Last summer I replaced all of the brake pads with the Raybestos Enhanced Hybrid Technology pads. They are supposed to combine the best attributes of ceramic and semi-metallic pads. I have been very happy with them. I had Wagner pads before and the Raybestos stop my Jeep noticeably better. They are $44.77 on Amazon for the rear. I also replaced all of the rotors with Centric rotors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TL6NZQ0/?coliid=I2JH6KP84PLO9V&colid=399YPFG70MR7J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KO2IA0/?coliid=I1FJFI11BJ3GGW&colid=399YPFG70MR7J&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm running Powerstop Z36 all the way around. Improvement over stock, IMO, but not the same as a big brake kit. If you can afford to do it, I would reccomend big brake kit. This will leave you room for bigger tires, added weight, etc down the road.

Ditto.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Too, just recently saw on Quadtratec's website that Powerstop is coming out with a big brake kit. Similarly priced to the Dynatracs. I'm planning on going with the Dynatracs later this year but may give the Powerstop kit consideration.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looking at the power stop kit for the rear, the one with the drilled rotors, Would it look weird with drilled rotors in the back and factory ones in the front?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I looking at the power stop kit for the rear, the one with the drilled rotors, Would it look weird with drilled rotors in the back and factory ones in the front?
Most likely not. Probably only one that would really notice would be you. Then, you can always add the fronts down the road.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Too, just recently saw on Quadtratec's website that Powerstop is coming out with a big brake kit. Similarly priced to the Dynatracs. I'm planning on going with the Dynatracs later this year but may give the Powerstop kit consideration.

G2 has a set also, I picked up the rears from Quadratec, $500 all in, to the door. 14:25" rotors Only have about 2K, 6 weeks on them, but no premature rust , smooth, machined and finished well. Just a heads up, I had really poor results with the previous purchased TF product. Rusted the first time I washed the jeep and they were not machined properly for the retention clips. Plus they are smaller diameter rotors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll be going with Black Magic Brakes... either their standard kit or the BBK. BBM is owned by Blaine who is not only a brake wizard, but also a TJ guru and is probably one of the most knowledgeable members on the design of the Wranglers. I'd trust and support him over any big name brand. He mainly sources premium pads and rotors from Centric if you're curious.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My brake improvements, chronologically:
- Hawk LTS rear pads- huge difference over stock
- Teraflex front BBK, with TF pads- much better stopping distance
- Hawk LTS front and rear- even better than TF pads (and a lot less dust)
- Rear braided lines- slightly less pedal mush
- J8 master and booster- no more pedal mush at all
- Teraflex rear BBK- relieved the front dipping, now "squats"
- Front braided lines- with everything else, now brakes like a good car.

Highly recommend the Hawk LTS pads.

Reactions: Hdhoo73

·
dirt road inspector
2,995 Posts
My JKU's mileage (rounded):
2007: 85,000
2012: 95,000
2016: 91,000
Never had to replace pads front or back. If they had to be replaced at +/- 45,000 miles I might not have bought my 2018.
Do you ever drive off without releasing your parking brake? I used to do that on a couple of Dodge minivans and had to buy rear pad at about 50k-60k miles.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll be going with Black Magic Brakes... either their standard kit or the BBK. BBM is owned by Blaine who is not only a brake wizard, but also a TJ guru and is probably one of the most knowledgeable members on the design of the Wranglers. I'd trust and support him over any big name brand. He mainly sources premium pads and rotors from Centric if you're curious.

Interesting that his BBK is front only for the JK?

Everyone says the JK’s main braking force is in the rear?

I’m still reading through his website, I’m looking for info on why front only. I’ll send him an email if I don’t find anything on the website talking about JK brake systems, unless someone knows this kit and can explain his reasoning for front only?

I do like his BBK though:
Massive 13.25” diameter Centric Premium Rotors
New! Large 54mm Dual Piston Calipers with Hardware
JK Big Brake Kit Black Magic Brake Pads (1084)
New Mopar OEM Brake Master Cylinder

1 - 20 of 31 Posts