Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I've got a '13 Sport That I'm installing 35" tires on and I want to run %.13 gear ratio. That being said, does anyone have any advice on what carriers are best? Unfortunately I have dana 30 front and dana 44 rear. I can't really justify swapping the axles out until I break them.

I've looked at I'm trying to do this as least expensive as I can for now as I just dropped three grand on a long arm kit and another three grand on tires and wheels.
I'll be adding air lockers next year so I just need carriers that will accommodate the big gears.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
289 Posts
running detroit true tracs front and rear with 4.88's in mine. its my daily driver and they work great for my 60+ mile daily commute

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Just get the dana spicer. You can swap over your spider gears. The yukon is proprietary and uses its own spiders. They aren't compatible.

You didn't ask and my opinion matters squat, but if you wheel much I would stay away from the 5.13's in the dana 30. Small pinion gear. Personally wouldn't go more than 4.88, but it's your call.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm leaning towards swapping my dana 30 for a 44. I'd prefer to get an empty housing so I can install the diffs that I choose, but I'm having a hard time finding anything in my area. Does anyone know of a Jeep graveyard I could investigate...
I suppose I could pony up the cash for new, built axle from one of the vendors.
Any opinions on where to look?

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
A bone yard d44 for a Jeep is going to cost you $1500 plus. You could start with a J8 housing for around $1000 then put all the guts in. A Dana Jeep JK Ultimate Dana 44 Front Axle Assembly, open diff and 5.13 gears is about $3000.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
First off there is very little choice of carriers for the front Mopar or Spicer D44 diff housing. There is No open carrier, and NO LSD (TruTrac).
The front D44 is the Rubi compatible housing which has metric bearing so your options are:
Rubi E-Locker
OX 30 or 35 spline Mechanical Locker
ARB 35spline air locker

If you go with the more expensive aftermarket housing you may have more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts