Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 4.0 standard:
I have an oil leak coming from possibly my transmission. It only seems to appear after the jeep has been driven. I recently had a garage change the tranny oil and xfer case oil. Leak appeared after this mtc work. I dropped the skid plate to investigate. Since jeep was sitting no leak ever appeared. Hoped it was just spilled oil under the skid. No such luck.

I suspect that the source is one of the 4 bolts that are under the skid and go into the bottom of the transmission. Can anyone identify what the 4 bolts are? Possibly the drain or a filter access area? Wondering if some kind of gasket has failed. . .

Also, the oil appears to be motor oil. Is that right for a standard tranny?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
Those are only the nuts and bolts that hold the transmission mount in place. They would not/could not be the source of a leak.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know my valve cover gasket is leaking from when I replaced the spark plugs. Got a new one waiting for the weekend to install. I'm seeing a drop of oil where the trans bolts up to the engine. I'm hoping this will take care of it. If not, new main rear seal it is...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to check. I just don't see a path going clear back to the skid. I would think I'd see a trail of oil. Good suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
On mine the 4 bolts were the ones that bolted the trans to the skid plate. I recently changed my trans oil, filter and gasket. That took care of that leak. The leak I was referring to is coming from either the rear part of the valve cover gasket or the rear main seal. I'm going to do the easier first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts