Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are track bars?... I see you guys talking about them all the time and I don't no what they do! What's the use and what's the advantage to removing them? And what do they look like and where are they? any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
They center Ur axle left to right so it cant move but leaf springs do a good job at that and on a leaf sprung suspension it can actually bind it up. Not good. If u wheel slot take em off if u drive on roads alot u can leave them but I took mine off and ill never put them back.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CharTay said:
They center Ur axle left to right so it cant move but leaf springs do a good job at that and on a leaf sprung suspension it can actually bind it up. Not good. If u wheel slot take em off if u drive on roads alot u can leave them but I took mine off and ill never put them back.
Why would anyone want to remove them? Does its help articulate more?

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
They are a necessity on a coil sping set up like are present on TJ's. On a YJ with leaf spings they are frame breakers. CJ's run the same basic setup as th YJ without the track bars.
The CJ had a narrow front leaf spring and could have probably benifited from a front track bar. The engineers at AMC designed the YJ and added the track bars but the wider front springs on the YJ make them unnecessary.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
They are supposed to keep lateral motion in check, but as others said, leaf springs do that. They were also put on to keep body roll to a minimum, but the sway bars do a fine job of that. With them on the axle can only move in an arc equal to the radius of the length of the track bar, greatly limiting flex and decreasing ride comfort.

Basically, they restrict your suspension from flexing at its full potential (what suspension is supposed to do, the whole point of it) to minimize the risk of high speed roll overs. For more on the design intention google panhard bar, dont confuse them with trac (traction) bars, which are torsion bars that stop front/back movement of an axle.

As far as what they look like, it is a solid bar running from the frame on one side to the axle on the other, for instance on the front of a jeep its drivers side frame, pass side axle.

·
Registered
165 Posts
the rear is the exact opposite, it runs passenger side frame to driver side axle, on your rear end it is the only Big stupid bar running on the top of your axle, i actually broke my rear hangers for it off before i got a chance to take it off. lol

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Removed mine and no loss of control or stability o. The road thru 65 mph best I get on the flat. Very noticeable ride and flex change off road. Less wait should be faster better mpg lol. Find em remove em and make something useful with them.

·
Registered
445 Posts
They control the lateral axle movement. In theory this is great for on road situations when you have lost traction and there are bumps making the wheels lose and gain traction. They were likely added for emergency manuevers. things most of us try to avoid in the first place, especially in a Jeep. They cost AMC/Chrysler a good bit of money per vehicle, so you can be sure they actually have some sort of benefit, its likely they were there because of all the safety grumblings about the CJ5/7.

If you've ever played around with a live axle rwd pony car (Mustang/Camaro), and you've pushed it past the edge, it becomes very unpredictable do to the axle instability. Track bars improve this issue greatly.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've found though that in the higher cog jeeps track bars do little to improve handling charactoristics while driving on the edge...

You'll roll before you need a track bar.

Just my opinion. Not to be taken as fact.

Yes they were built for a reason. But was the reason a real handling solution or just a solution for the legal guys. Aka on paper.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not sure if you'll roll it first. I seem to remember some footage from Consumer reports testing wranglers and seeing them actually slide on pavement, and not roll.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'd be interested in this;

Take a jeep in stock form. With 235/75/15

Do a few laps with a pro driver and get a good average.

then take the trac bars off and try again.

Try it again with 2.5 lift and 31's
And 4 lift a 33's

Then with the same rigs try some controlled collision evaiding.

I honestly have no clue what the results would be.

As far as trac bar vs no trac bar

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
I can tell you from years of experience, that they do make a difference in driveability (the front, not the rear). I have actually put track bars on 70's 1 ton trucks and it improves driveability bigtime. All of your 85-97 Ford trucks have track bars on the front.

What I wanna see is how much suspension travel people "gain" by removing it. I personally have seen no such improvement or hinderence on any SOA'd YJ.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I first put a 4" RC lift on my previous YJ I had the track and sway bars connected. The ride offroad was very stiff and hard. I removed both and the ride softened up tremendously. You definately get more body roll on the highway but it never felt unsafe. Did take some getting used to though.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I can tell you from years of experience, that they do make a difference in driveability (the front, not the rear). I have actually put track bars on 70's 1 ton trucks and it improves driveability bigtime. All of your 85-97 Ford trucks have track bars on the front.

What I wanna see is how much suspension travel people "gain" by removing it. I personally have seen no such improvement or hinderence on any SOA'd YJ.
My word you're a persistent one. Have you even tried removing the bar to check the flex? Betting you'll see even more, unless you purposely put the bar in place because you're running too big of a tire that will just tear the fender off without a limiting factor. You keep "claiming" your YJ has no issues with the bar on- ALL internet heresy, there is no evidence for you to support your ludicrous claims.

Track bars limit flex, it's not a lie, it's not a myth, it's a FACT when it comes to leaf spring suspension. The way leaf spring suspension flexes is not in the same motion a track bar allows. You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts