Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of mileage are you all getting out of your brakes? I'm doing my wife's front brakes at a bit over 36,000. What is everybody getting out of their front and rear brakes?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Been seeing a lot of Chrysler minivans in the shop lately that go through back brakes at 40k and the fronts still have 30-40% left. I've only done brakes once on a JK though and it was grinding front and rear at 50k miles. My wife's mitsu eclipse still has original rear brakes at 85k!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
07 jku. I get a two to one ratio. I change the rears twice as often as the fronts. Most have the same result. Really depends on your driving style.
well this makes no sense considering that 75% of the braking is done with the fronts.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I just pulled both my axles at 36k and factory pads look great, I was running 37's too.

·
Registered
910 Posts
well this makes no sense considering that 75% of the braking is done with the fronts.
I agree but I do notice that I get alot more brake dust on the rear wheels than the fronts. First time for anything I guess.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree but I do notice that I get alot more brake dust on the rear wheels than the fronts. First time for anything I guess.
The new Wranglers have BLD. Brake Locking Differentials. This is why you see the rear brakes going so quickly.

The rear wheels always have power to them, so while the fronts are also part of the BLD, the smaller brakes in the rear have to work much harder to achieve the same effect for the rear wheels. More power + smaller brakes = more wear

The wear can also be exaggerated if you or whoever else is driving your Wrangler accelerates or turns fairly aggressively. Also, depending on the weather, road conditions can also effect the increased wear from BLD. If you get less traction, then more BLD input is required, resulting in more brake wear.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The new Wranglers have BLD. Brake Locking Differentials. This is why you see the rear brakes going so quickly.

The rear wheels always have power to them, so while the fronts are also part of the BLD, the smaller brakes in the rear have to work much harder to achieve the same effect for the rear wheels. More power + smaller brakes = more wear

The wear can also be exaggerated if you or whoever else is driving your Wrangler accelerates or turns fairly aggressively. Also, depending on the weather, road conditions can also effect the increased wear from BLD. If you get less traction, then more BLD input is required, resulting in more brake wear.
Ahh that actually makes alot of sense. Good thinking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah. That's part of the reason I am not really a fan of BLDs, TCS, and ESC type systems that you are not able to FULLY turn off. ( I do like the idea for very bad inclement weather and road conditions, but not for moderate and good road conditions, not so much. )

Too much chance for the computer to fight driver input and for the driver to start fighting computer input, plus, as sophisticated as the systems are, they can't possibly read the situation you are presented with...

That and they give poor and idiotic drivers the confidence to do things they really shouldn't be doing in the first place. All the workplace accidents that I've seen have happened when someone was too comfortable.

People ask me all the time why I am not afraid to go up ladders, the fact is, I am terrified beyond belief of them, but it's that fear that keeps me from doing something stupid and falling off. :rant: :rant: :rant:

Sorry for being such a negative Nancy. And sorry for my rant. Had to get it out of my system, and get my post count up, lol!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have 52000 on my original fronts and rears. I will check them again in the spring to see what they look like. But as of last month when I did my pre winter inspection, they looked good.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
**UPDATE**

I pulled apart the front brakes today. The driver side was worn down completely. The passenger side had a ton of pad left. I replaced the rotors and pads on both sides and greased the caliper pins good, hoping I didn't have to replace the calipers. Took it for a short ride and when I stopped the driver side was smoking and smelled like brake. Replaced and bled the calipers, good as new. I haven't checked the rears, next weekend. I'm convinced if the caliper didn't take a dump I had another 20,000 miles left judging by how the passenger side pad looked.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I coulda squeezed out a couple more thousand on the rears, but they were getting low so I changed them at 37k. Fronts are still good at 38k. I actually greatly appreciate the BLD, SC, and TC. Espically going down a snowy highway at speed. the things ability to correct my intended path, before I can react, never ceases to amaze me! Love it. Off road, the system works well with the Truetracs and since turning off the HSA, I have no complaints. It's off in 4lo anyway.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Truth be told I never even thought about checking the rears. Our 2001 Durango (with rear drums) still had alot of pad left at 80,000 miles (2 front pad /rotor change outs and 1 pair of caliper change out). I'm definitely gonna take a look at the rears next weekend. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question-

Being that I replaced the front calipers should I have bled all 4 brakes? I have a good pedal, not spongy, just curious what you guys would have done.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
RJL1 said:
Question- Being that I replaced the front calipers should I have bled all 4 brakes? I have a good pedal, not spongy, just curious what you guys would have done.
no, unless you got air up to the master cylinder, which is hard to do, then you're ok just bleeding the one you replaced.

I am at 67k and I've replaced 1 front caliper and 1 rear and I replaced the pads at the time. Those were at about 45k. I rebuilt them myself so the rebuild kit was only $20 per caliper

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no, unless you got air up to the master cylinder, which is hard to do, then you're ok just bleeding the one you replaced.

I am at 67k and I've replaced 1 front caliper and 1 rear and I replaced the pads at the time. Those were at about 45k. I rebuilt them myself so the rebuild kit was only $20 per caliper
That's what I was thinking. I kept topping off the fluid as I changed the calipers. Rebuilt them yourself? Probably something I should have looked into. Where did you get the rebuild kit?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts