Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14,065 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have to say I am pretty sold on Method Race Wheels... I do like Walker Evans' a lot, too....

Method Race Wheels

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
I have to say I am pretty sold on Method Race Wheels... I do like Walker Evans' a lot, too....

Method Race Wheels

I have experience running the Champion, Raceline, OMF, and KMC.

I have experience mounting the above plus Walkers, Method, and a few steel versions.

Of all of them, the only ones I would not recommend are the Method and they are semi-local. They are the only ones that I've ever worked with that were problematic and that I was actually scared to drive down the road after I was finished.

We started trying to put a set of new MT/RK's on them and the inner lip was so tight that we had to trim some out of bead lip on the tire. Then after we started tightening down the lock ring, they coned so far that the heads of the bolts started snapping off.

After several conversations with them, they advised us to just drill out the holes in the bead lock ring. I was not the slightest bit comfortable with taking on that liability so I took them a tire and rim which they then modified and mounted, but still with pretty bad coning on the lock ring.

I also took them a ring which they drilled and I subsequently used to mount another tire. Again, severe coning and broken bolts at which point I threw up my hands and told the owner to figure it out because I was done messing with Method and those tires.

They convinced him to try a different set of tires and related they had great success with Falkens.

A set was acquired and again I made an attempt to mount them and again, the same issue, severe coning and broken bolts.

Again, I threw up my hands and told the owner I wasn't comfortable with him driving on them even if I did manage to get them mounted by undertorquing the bolts to stop them from breaking.

Now, the obvious answer is I'm a fair bit of a retard with regard to mounting beadlocks, but I did my very best to remove that from the situation, I've done many many sets of beadlocks and never had a problem. I also owned two inch pound torque wrenches and I now own 3 so I could be absolutely sure it wasn't me or the torque wrench.

Finally the owner did some more research and found that OMF makes small flat spacers that go under the rings to stop the coning.

The owner spent almost 300 additional to acquire the spacers and longer hardware which I used to install the Falkens. It worked perfectly, the coning is gone and I didn't break a single bolt, they all torqued up evenly with no issues. It takes 36 of the spacers per rim in 12 stacks of 3 around the inner lip.

I also drove over to OMF to pick them up.

3 weeks of frustration, 2 sets of tires, 4 trips to Method, 1 trip to OMF, 300 additional in hardware, several hours of messing around and we finally got them to work. While I can't guarantee or assure anyone they will or won't have the same experiences, I wouldn't run a set of them if they gave them to me and that is a bit sad because I really enjoy the way they look.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have experience running the Champion, Raceline, OMF, and KMC.

I have experience mounting the above plus Walkers, Method, and a few steel versions.

Of all of them, the only ones I would not recommend are the Method and they are semi-local. They are the only ones that I've ever worked with that were problematic and that I was actually scared to drive down the road after I was finished.

We started trying to put a set of new MT/RK's on them and the inner lip was so tight that we had to trim some out of bead lip on the tire. Then after we started tightening down the lock ring, they coned so far that the heads of the bolts started snapping off.

After several conversations with them, they advised us to just drill out the holes in the bead lock ring. I was not the slightest bit comfortable with taking on that liability so I took them a tire and rim which they then modified and mounted, but still with pretty bad coning on the lock ring.

I also took them a ring which they drilled and I subsequently used to mount another tire. Again, severe coning and broken bolts at which point I threw up my hands and told the owner to figure it out because I was done messing with Method and those tires.

They convinced him to try a different set of tires and related they had great success with Falkens.

A set was acquired and again I made an attempt to mount them and again, the same issue, severe coning and broken bolts.

Again, I threw up my hands and told the owner I wasn't comfortable with him driving on them even if I did manage to get them mounted by undertorquing the bolts to stop them from breaking.

Now, the obvious answer is I'm a fair bit of a retard with regard to mounting beadlocks, but I did my very best to remove that from the situation, I've done many many sets of beadlocks and never had a problem. I also owned two inch pound torque wrenches and I now own 3 so I could be absolutely sure it wasn't me or the torque wrench.

Finally the owner did some more research and found that OMF makes small flat spacers that go under the rings to stop the coning.

The owner spent almost 300 additional to acquire the spacers and longer hardware which I used to install the Falkens. It worked perfectly, the coning is gone and I didn't break a single bolt, they all torqued up evenly with no issues. It takes 36 of the spacers per rim in 12 stacks of 3 around the inner lip.

I also drove over to OMF to pick them up.

3 weeks of frustration, 2 sets of tires, 4 trips to Method, 1 trip to OMF, 300 additional in hardware, several hours of messing around and we finally got them to work. While I can't guarantee or assure anyone they will or won't have the same experiences, I wouldn't run a set of them if they gave them to me and that is a bit sad because I really enjoy the way they look.
Wow... thats a lot to go through. I have a friend that owns a local fab shop and about 90% of all the buggies and trucks ( professional race trucks ) are fitted with Methods and I will have to ask him if they have ever has issues.

Thanks for the info for sure though.... that weighs heavy on a purchase.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Liftlaws.com

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts