Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 93 YJ, 6 cylinder.
Dana 30 in the front but something unknown in the rear. The guy I bought it from got it like that from the previous owner.

image-2880927970.jpg

Doesn't look like the Dana 44.

I am unable to read any of the nomenclature off the tab on it. The rear has full disc brakes, bigger than the front Disc breaks. Thought the yj came factory with drum in the rear ?

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Probably a post 95 explorer rear axle as they come standard with disc brakes.. its one of the best replacement 1/2 ton axles as they're plentiful in the junkyard, came in LSD variety in 3.73 and 4.11 gear ratios so chances are you have lsd.. easiest way to figure it out is jack up the rear end and spin one tire.. if the other tire spins the same direction.. lsd.. if it doesn't spin you might need to rebuild the clutch packs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks, I will check it out this weekend. That'll help with ordering brake pads and new rotors too.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
not a problem :) the giveaway is the general shape of the differential housing is square with rounded corners, plus the two notches on the bottom of the cover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts