Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 4.0 rebuilding now almost finished what do you guys recommend for a break in oil royal purple or Lucas

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
I'd probably use Pennzoil conventional 10W30, and a ZDDP additive. The oil isn't going to be in service that long, and Pennzoil is a great oil.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think I would use a quality oil in the weight needed and change it out at 4 to 5 hundred miles. Wouldn't be using a synthetic or a additive just yet. You want things to rub just a little bit and I hope you used plenty of assembly lube.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think I would use a quality oil in the weight needed and change it out at 4 to 5 hundred miles. Wouldn't be using a synthetic or a additive just yet. You want things to rub just a little bit and I hope you used plenty of assembly lube.
X2 on the 4-5 hundred miles and be sure to replace the oil filter. If you have used plenty of assembly lube which is mandatory on an engine rebuild the oil filter will need changed as the assembly lube will not go through a quality oil filter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use Brad Penn break in oil. The 04 4.0 uses a roller cam so you don't have to worry as much about break in, but to be on the safe side I'd still toss in a bottle of the zinc additive. I used it on the roller cam I installed into my 496 big block that went into my 69 Camaro.

I'd fire up the motor and once broken in, IMMEDIATELY change the oil and filter with a quality filter. Wix or NAPA is a good brand. Then another oil change at 500 miles. After that go to regular oil change intervals of 3000 miles.

Good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd fire up the motor and once broken in, IMMEDIATELY change the oil and filter with a quality filter. Wix or NAPA is a good brand. Then another oil change at 500 miles. After that go to regular oil change intervals of 3000 miles.

Agree, that’s good advice right there. Although technically a break in oil is not required for rollers, it doesn’t hurt anything. Personally I also use a break in oil anyway. I have had good luck with royal purple. And yes, change it immediately after break in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We acquired a lot of used equipment on the farm over the years and much of it needed an engine O/H after some use. If it was summer I would use straight 30W, if cold weather 10W30, no synthetic, always use good filters (Wix/Baldwin/Fleetguard/etc) and change both at 500 miles or equivalent service hours. Always had good luck doing it that way, which incidentally was how it was taught to me in VoTech school lo these forty years ago. Never had a premature failure of anything properly O/H'd this way...but YMMV will always apply.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No rollers came on any factory Jeep 4.0 EVER

Need zink for break-in if you want cam to last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. I should have said they are available aftermarket, although they have pretty crappy reviews. And yes, even if you don’t use break in oil, you would want an oil with zink. There are many options, but I use valvoline vr1 in my 408 now that it is broken in.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Flat tappets in the 4.0 all the way to the end in '06.

You should use a high zddp oil for break in, and I would follow whatever the cam vendor's recommendation for break in is.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
With a new cam and lifters, or if there is any chance you mixed up positions of old lifters, it is essential to use moly cam lube such as HRL or Crane. The moly will plug the oil filter and both it and the oil must be changed after the 20 minute break in at 2000-2500 rpm. Then I change o&f a second time after about 50-100 miles to get the resst of the moly out along with wear metal particles (rings and cylinder walls mostly).

·
Registered
13,752 Posts
I don't. I was just assuming. I'm shocked that in 2004 Jeep was still using flat tappet lifters. Hell, GM and Ford started installing roller lifters in the mod-80's.

Last ford straight six was the 4.9/300 used sell into 90s and it was flat tappet lifters

Nothing better for long life then a straight six and no need for rollers

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
Last ford straight six was the 4.9/300 used sell into 90s and it was flat tappet lifters

Nothing better for long life then a straight six and no need for rollers

You're right. I've owned Fords with that engine since the early 1980's, in fact I still own one. IMO that was the best straight 6 ever made. Mine still runs like a champ.

·
Registered
13,752 Posts
I am pretty sure the dodge straight six oil burner from Cummings Diesel still has non roller cam with solid rappers and a 150,000 adjustment interval

That is yet another long lasting straight six

1 - 20 of 23 Posts