Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The LED fog lights that come on certain JK Wranglers (introduced in 2017, I think) are a different size than the halogen lights that have been standard on the JK since its introduction. We have a '17 JKUR and really like the factory lights and would like to keep them, but would like to swap to a stubby or mid bumper with support for a winch and LED mini light bar.

The SRC Carbine from Smittybilt definitely does not work. I need some new ideas. Anyone know about the XRC Gen 2? I would rather not have to spend the $ on a PS. as pretty as it is.

·
Registered
371 Posts
OP, are you sure you're not confusing them with the Hard Rock/Recon/10A lights which have always had a different bracket than the regular bumper?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
The LED fog lights that come on certain JK Wranglers (introduced in 2017, I think) are a different size than the halogen lights that have been standard on the JK since its introduction. We have a '17 JKUR and really like the factory lights and would like to keep them, but would like to swap to a stubby or mid bumper with support for a winch and LED mini light bar.

The SRC Carbine from Smittybilt definitely does not work. I need some new ideas. Anyone know about the XRC Gen 2? I would rather not have to spend the $ on a PS. as pretty as it is.
Call Quadratec and tell them you're a forum member, You get free FedEx Ground shipping and 10% off. It will make it easier on the wallet for a pretty Poison Spyder Brawler Lite bumper and skid!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call Quadratec and tell them you're a forum member, You get free FedEx Ground shipping and 10% off. It will make it easier on the wallet for a pretty Poison Spyder Brawler Lite bumper and skid!
Looking at the PS, the design looks like it probably is not compatible with the LED housing either. Do you know that it works?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Looking at the PS, the design looks like it probably is not compatible with the LED housing either. Do you know that it works?
again which LED fogs are you talking about? the stock LED lights are the same housing. if you are talking about the Recon/HR leds, then no they will not fit with any aftermarket bumper. you will have to sell/trade them for the other style.

Mopar halogen

halogen fog.jpg

Mopar stock LED

jeep led.jpg

led housing.jpg

Recon/HR/10A LED
Recon LED.jpg

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ran into that same issue with the Smittybuilt bumper, saw the opening for OEM fogs and did not figure out incorrect brackets until installed, the factory brackets would not fit. Was a pain and live where fogs come in pretty handy.
I finally made some Frankenstein brackets that sort of work but not very pretty from the back of the bumper. Wished I had done more research prior.
BTW, the mini fog lights that came with the bumper were junk, replaced several times ( Thanks QT) but finally learned they are not made for moisture exposure :(.
Do good research.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If, as TheGrendel says, the lights you have are not the Recon lights but the same house as the non-LED lights, then the Rock Hard 4x4 bumpers work. I put one on my Jeep and the stock fog lights screw right on. But I have the standard housings, not the Recon housing.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

again which LED fogs are you talking about? the stock LED lights are the same housing. if you are talking about the Recon/HR leds, then no they will not fit with any aftermarket bumper. you will have to sell/trade them for the other style.

Mopar halogen

View attachment 3725513

Mopar stock LED

View attachment 3725521

View attachment 3725529

Recon/HR/10A LED
View attachment 3725537

If the Carbine does not work (I have one and it works with the stock halogen lights), then he must be talking about the HardRock/Recon fog lights...In which case it sounds like there are no options that work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in the same boat recently; was looking for a bumper that was compatible with the new OEM LED fog lights, and couldn't find any.

I went with the Go Rhino BR40 bumper with full end caps. You have to grind out the mounting plate, but it wasn't too tough. If you look at d2mini's build thread, he has pictures and narrative how to do it. The nice thing on that particular bumper is that the inner plate that the lights mount to are big enough to fit the LED light. The only grinding you have to do is on the actual plate that faces the road.

Hope this helps.
md

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
Expedition One Basic DX with side wings.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Mopar halogen

View attachment 3725513

Mopar stock LED

View attachment 3725521

View attachment 3725529

Recon/HR/10A LED
View attachment 3725537
I'm sorry, I missed your question the first time. They are the Mopar LEDs, not the HR/Recon LEDs.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the Carbine does not work (I have one and it works with the stock halogen lights), then he must be talking about the HardRock/Recon fog lights...In which case it sounds like there are no options that work?
I exchanged some more emails with Smitty support/R&D and they said all their bumpers are cut using the same (halogen) template, so the XRC will not work either. Both bumpers fit the halogen, but not the Mopar or HR/Recon LEDs.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was in the same boat recently; was looking for a bumper that was compatible with the new OEM LED fog lights, and couldn't find any.

I went with the Go Rhino BR40 bumper with full end caps. You have to grind out the mounting plate, but it wasn't too tough. If you look at d2mini's build thread, he has pictures and narrative how to do it. The nice thing on that particular bumper is that the inner plate that the lights mount to are big enough to fit the LED light. The only grinding you have to do is on the actual plate that faces the road.

Hope this helps.
md
Do you have any links to this?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I'm sorry, I missed your question the first time. They are the Mopar LEDs, not the HR/Recon LEDs.
I exchanged some more emails with Smitty support/R&D and they said all their bumpers are cut using the same (halogen) template, so the XRC will not work either. Both bumpers fit the halogen, but not the Mopar or HR/Recon LEDs.

Something is still not making sense to me....you say you have the standard Mopar LEDs but you say the smittybilt bumpers will not work? Everyone here is saying that the NON Hardrock/10A fog lights are the same as the standard halogen. In the pictures TheGrendel posted above, which ones do you have? like which picture is exactly yours?

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Something is still not making sense to me....you say you have the standard Mopar LEDs but you say the smittybilt bumpers will not work? Everyone here is saying that the NON Hardrock/10A fog lights are the same as the standard halogen. In the pictures TheGrendel posted above, which ones do you have? like which picture is exactly yours?
I thought I made that clear. There are three housings - Mopar halogen, Mopar LED, and HR/Recon LED. I have the Mopar LED. Smittybilt has confirmed their bumpers are only sized for the Mopar halogens, which are not the same size as the Mopar LEDs.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: 76744 FACTORY 2017 JK FOG LIGHT MOUNT ISSUE #SB000xxxxx
To: <my email>

New reply for the ticket #SB000xxxxx

Hello,

Thanks for the pics, Unfortunately Per R&D the bumper will not work with the larger LED housings, only the Halogen Housings at this time.

Thank you,
Smittybilt Customer Support Team

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the response to my follow up, inquiring if the XRC Gen 2 might work:

Date: Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 5:40 PM

Hello,

Unfortunately the Gen 2 has the same template.

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I thought I made that clear. There are three housings - Mopar halogen, Mopar LED, and HR/Recon LED. I have the Mopar LED. Smittybilt has confirmed their bumpers are only sized for the Mopar halogens, which are not the same size as the Mopar LEDs.

Date: Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:51 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the pics, Unfortunately Per R&D the bumper will not work with the larger LED housings, only the Halogen Housings at this time.

Thank you,

I was not aware there are THREE different mounting/housings. From everything i understood, and what others have said here, there were only two. Learn something new everyday i guess.

Are you dead set on keeping the stock fogs? It seems to me you could buy a replacement set of LED fog lights (ie quadratec's LEDs) and they would fit any bumper you want, thus not limiting your options. Then i would sell the Mopar LEDs, I am sure you could unload them for a decent amount. Net result is you have the exact bumper you want, and are only out a small amount for new LED fogs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts